You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark

i was on my computer downloading software for videos and music editing. I had a little mouse issue where the cursor kept disappearing. So I decided to restart the cpu and when I started it back up there was a blinking folder with a question mark I tried to access boot menu it won’t let me do anything. I just want my computer fixed I drove 2hrs away to a place that denied to work on my system. Saying it’s out of date. Please help me fix this issue I think it’s a corrupted hard drive but I don’t want to get rid of the items on the hard drive

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:08 AM

If your Mac really is running MacOS as old as 10.5, it is very surprising that you can download anything form anywhere. The httpS: in versions before 10.9 is completely obsolete.

That said, the tools you need to repair the disk for 10.5 are on the Installler/Utilities DVD:

Boot to the Installer DVD, but do not start to install.

Instead, answer only the "What Language" question and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn.

Choose Disk Utility off the Utilities menu.

when Disk Utility opens, elect your drive and "repair disk".

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Tremaine91

If your Mac really is running MacOS as old as 10.5, it is very surprising that you can download anything form anywhere. The httpS: in versions before 10.9 is completely obsolete.

That said, the tools you need to repair the disk for 10.5 are on the Installler/Utilities DVD:

Boot to the Installer DVD, but do not start to install.

Instead, answer only the "What Language" question and wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn.

Choose Disk Utility off the Utilities menu.

when Disk Utility opens, elect your drive and "repair disk".

Aug 22, 2020 10:05 PM in response to Tremaine91

Tremaine91 Said:

"My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark: os it’s the version I don’t have a MacBook it’s the tower"

-------

Please Confirm the Version Number:

Verify which version it is:

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: About this Mac
  3. See: what Version is Installed: (First Line-Down).
  4. What do you see for the version number?

Aug 23, 2020 12:00 AM in response to Tremaine91

Tremaine91 Said:

"I can’t get into the cpu at all it is only giving me the folder with the question mark. It’s a version 10.5 tho Mac pro that’s all I know"

-------

To Find Out - Try Terminal:

1. Boot: Into Recovery Mode [Hold Down: command + R upon boot]
  2. Sign In: (If Required)
  3. Go To: Utilities menu atop the screen
  4. Select: Terminal
  5. Type: this Terminal command, then press enter:
system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType

It would be the second line-down that reads:

System Version:

Screenshot: Find Out your macOS Version from the Terminal - DIGITAL CITIZEN

My Mac Pro 10.5 was running well but my mouse kept disappearing until I downloaded premiere and the mouse disappeared so I restarted the cpu and to my surprise folder with a question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.