You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16,2 and LG 27UK850 USB failure

I just started using the MacBook Pro 16,2 (which came with MacOS 10.15.5) over USB-C with my LG 27UK850-w display in closed-display mode with a USB keyboard and mouse plugged into the back of the display. After a certain amount of time controlling the computer with the external keyboard and mouse in closed-display mode, the keyboard and mouse suddenly stop working and all USB connectivity to the computer is disabled. As far as I can tell, this is not triggered by any other devices plugged into the computer (I've tested) and the amount of time to the failure varies. The video remains operational. After unplugging the computer from the display, the macbook takes an eternity to reconfigure the video output, and the USB connectivity still doesn't work. So far, I've only been able to fix it with a reboot.

Things I've tried:

• Sending the computer to sleep and waking back up
  • Rebooting the display
  • Removing all third-party kernel extensions
  • Looking at system logs (no errors from what I looked at)
  • Disabling power nap
  • Using included MacBook power cable instead of the built in display power

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help here.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 3:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 7:08 PM

UPDATE:

This seems like the issue, seeing as both of my devices are USB 2.0 and my monitor is a transparent hub. Too bad. I think I've spent more time troubleshooting this issue than I spent on any issue in the entire lifetime of my previous pc – and that cost 1/5 the price :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/gp5b1z/usb_20_issues_on_new_macbook_pro_13_2020/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2020 7:08 PM in response to nd-0r

UPDATE:

This seems like the issue, seeing as both of my devices are USB 2.0 and my monitor is a transparent hub. Too bad. I think I've spent more time troubleshooting this issue than I spent on any issue in the entire lifetime of my previous pc – and that cost 1/5 the price :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/gp5b1z/usb_20_issues_on_new_macbook_pro_13_2020/

MacBook Pro 16,2 and LG 27UK850 USB failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.