You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband / Logic Pro MAC

Hey!

So I've been using garageband for the iPad Pro and they have these digital players for piano and guitar, as well as a drummer- where you just pick your chords and choose the chords styling and then you can insert a drummer who plays along. But I can't seem to find that function on the laptop version of garageband, and not on Logic Pro either. It's just a function I really like and play around with all the time on my iPad and I figured they must have that on the laptop version as well? I just can't seem to find it I hope.. They have a drummer on the Mac version of garageband but its not as intuitive or good as on the iPad- and it seems to me like the phone versions of garageband even have it.

Any help?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 12:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 3:33 AM

In GarageBand for Mac you have several smart instruments to play along with you.

You can also play a chord progression easily by adding one of the loops and looping it. Then transpose the looped regions individually to change the chord they are playing.

GarageBand on the iPad and iPhone is very different from the Mac version. On the iPhone and iPad you have the touch screen, so you can directly use the device as a musical instrument. The Mac has no touch surface other than the keyboard or trackpad. We are expected to connect a midi keyboard or an electrical guitar, if we want to play an instrument.

You can use Logic remote to use the iPad when recording instruments on your Mac however. Then you can get the best of both worlds.

Frankly, I prefer GarageBand on Mac to the iPad/iPhone version, because I am using GarageBand and Logic to arrange songs, not as a musical instrument to play music. On a Mac I can easily enter individual notes in the Piano Roll score editor or modify individual notes and chords. The editing options to change a song arrangement are much better.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2020 3:33 AM in response to himeros00

In GarageBand for Mac you have several smart instruments to play along with you.

You can also play a chord progression easily by adding one of the loops and looping it. Then transpose the looped regions individually to change the chord they are playing.

GarageBand on the iPad and iPhone is very different from the Mac version. On the iPhone and iPad you have the touch screen, so you can directly use the device as a musical instrument. The Mac has no touch surface other than the keyboard or trackpad. We are expected to connect a midi keyboard or an electrical guitar, if we want to play an instrument.

You can use Logic remote to use the iPad when recording instruments on your Mac however. Then you can get the best of both worlds.

Frankly, I prefer GarageBand on Mac to the iPad/iPhone version, because I am using GarageBand and Logic to arrange songs, not as a musical instrument to play music. On a Mac I can easily enter individual notes in the Piano Roll score editor or modify individual notes and chords. The editing options to change a song arrangement are much better.

Jun 15, 2020 4:37 AM in response to léonie

Yes for sure- I agree the mac version is probably more powerful than any iPhone apps. I play the piano so that's not an issue with the midi. Just thought the iPad app was a lot more intuitive and just easier to play around with- I wish there was a similar one for Mac. Especially since I don't play guitar.

I'll play around and try it a bit more- thank you! =)

Garageband / Logic Pro MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.