You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"TechResultsSearchDaemon" will damage your computer.

I just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. Now running 10.15.5. I've had problems with TechResults, etc. before, but now I'm getting a relentless dialog box that states "TechResultsSearchDaemon will damage your computer. This file was downloaded on an unknown date. " I click "Show in Finder" to no avail or "OK", which just brings the pop-up box right back up again.

I have checked all of this:

Chrome Extensions - removed something there along those lines

Go to Folder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.TechResultsSearch.plist

~/Library/Application Support/com.TechResultsSea

I have removed it as a profile in settings

In Chrome setting, I changed back to just Google as my search engine - (TechResults hijacks it frequently)

I also just purchased Etrecheck Power User and ran a test of my computer - if it helps, I could paste some or all of the report on my computer.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro12,1

3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (i7-5557U) CPU: 2-core

16 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1867 

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 8 GB DDR3 1867 

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 282

Video Information:

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 - VRAM: 1536 MB

Color LCD (built-in) 2560 x 1600

Any ideas? - Thanks all.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 4:42 AM

John B,

This worked! The MalwareBytes scan report did not list anything along the lines of "TechResultsSearch, etc", but it identified these Threats: Adware.Crossrider, Adware.Mindspark, Adware.NewTab, Adware.OperatorMac, and these Potentially Unwanted Programs: PUP.PCVARK.Similar Photo Cleaner, PUP.Systwek, PUP.Tenorshare. I quarantined all of these, and then the TechResultsSearchDaemon pop up box stopped harassing me.

Thank you!

Ben

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2020 4:42 AM in response to Johnb-one

John B,

This worked! The MalwareBytes scan report did not list anything along the lines of "TechResultsSearch, etc", but it identified these Threats: Adware.Crossrider, Adware.Mindspark, Adware.NewTab, Adware.OperatorMac, and these Potentially Unwanted Programs: PUP.PCVARK.Similar Photo Cleaner, PUP.Systwek, PUP.Tenorshare. I quarantined all of these, and then the TechResultsSearchDaemon pop up box stopped harassing me.

Thank you!

Ben

Jun 5, 2020 3:20 PM in response to Balanco

Yes---I'm going to keep this as simple as possible. This is malware/adware. download and run a copy of MalwareBytes to hopefully get rid of it. If you use google, you can look up "how to get rid of TechResults SearchDaemon on Mac " and it may give you some fruitful ideas. You don't really need to post Etrecheck, yet. You may wish to stay away from anything that promises to fix your mac or clean it from Junk. Anti-virus programs aren't needed much either

that's it

john b

"TechResultsSearchDaemon" will damage your computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.