You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Positioning shape mask on Basic Text?

Ok, this is getting really frustrating. I bit the bullet and tried to use FCPx, and moved out from the Adobe Suites, but I'm still compelled that I've wasted good money on FCPx as the transition from a "linear" timeline to a "dynamic" editing timeline. URGH! Call me old school or just plain stubborn to learn, but anyway...

I'm trying to reposition a Shape Mask of a given effect that I've placed on a Basic Text. HOW in the world do I move my mask on my programme screen without moving my whole bloody text box??? I can't for the love of God, lock the text into position, whole doing a simple keyframe animation, yet alone moving the darn mask as FCPx prioritise moving the text body rather than my Mask.

Any idea?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 4:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 1:18 AM

Text is always "on top"... unless...

When dealing with text in the Viewer AND ANYTHING that has control points (like OnScreen Controls... etc.,), you have to change the tool you're dealing with. [The only other tool that changes the cursor in the Viewer is the Hand tool.]

The tools you use in the storyline can be activated in the viewer (the Viewer pane needs to be the active pane). By default, the Select Tool (A) is the tool that is active in the Viewer. You deal with Text with the Select Tool.

When you have Text and you need to access an OSC (or other control point to another object) you can type the B key (Blade), T (Trim), P (Position), R (Range) or the H key (Hand) and you will have CLEAR access to any of the OSCs or control points that may be over the text area. When the Select tool (A) is active, Text has the "focus" like it's on top of everything else (layer wise). You can switch back and forth between tools as you work in the Viewer (by either the tool menu or by using the keyboard shortcuts).

You can tell the region that Text controls by clicking on the text in the viewer. You will see a bounding box. If all the control points of the other object (like your mask) are outside the text bounding rectangle, you don't need to change the tool — they'll be accessible. Only when the control points you need to access are inside that rectangle.

You may need to get used to typing off Select (B, T, R, P, H) and back (A) to manage multiple objects with text in the Viewer, especially when you click back out of the Viewer into the storyline.

The one other tool that is available is Zoom (Z). However, it does not work for control points (because it will actually zoom the viewer).

HTH

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2020 1:18 AM in response to Vince_Cheong

Text is always "on top"... unless...

When dealing with text in the Viewer AND ANYTHING that has control points (like OnScreen Controls... etc.,), you have to change the tool you're dealing with. [The only other tool that changes the cursor in the Viewer is the Hand tool.]

The tools you use in the storyline can be activated in the viewer (the Viewer pane needs to be the active pane). By default, the Select Tool (A) is the tool that is active in the Viewer. You deal with Text with the Select Tool.

When you have Text and you need to access an OSC (or other control point to another object) you can type the B key (Blade), T (Trim), P (Position), R (Range) or the H key (Hand) and you will have CLEAR access to any of the OSCs or control points that may be over the text area. When the Select tool (A) is active, Text has the "focus" like it's on top of everything else (layer wise). You can switch back and forth between tools as you work in the Viewer (by either the tool menu or by using the keyboard shortcuts).

You can tell the region that Text controls by clicking on the text in the viewer. You will see a bounding box. If all the control points of the other object (like your mask) are outside the text bounding rectangle, you don't need to change the tool — they'll be accessible. Only when the control points you need to access are inside that rectangle.

You may need to get used to typing off Select (B, T, R, P, H) and back (A) to manage multiple objects with text in the Viewer, especially when you click back out of the Viewer into the storyline.

The one other tool that is available is Zoom (Z). However, it does not work for control points (because it will actually zoom the viewer).

HTH

Apr 21, 2020 4:07 AM in response to fox_m

Hey man, thanks for your time and personal insight, for some weird reason i did used the Position tool (P), but it moved, which made me disregard the whole idea of using any other selected tool. But after re-affirming what you've said and tested it, it actually works for OSC with BTRPH tools, as long as i'm not with (A), which is somewhat odd, but very interesting. But somehow it actually works, oddly I was figuring out the whole night, and google search and creative cow isn't the easier to find "simple" queries like this I guess.

Hahhaa yeah Z that always zoom into... But on the other hand, I really need to get used to the editing keystrokes shortcut keys for FCP, it's the next layer/page of shortcuts are confusing like CMD or Opt or CTRL is in play haha.

Another funny fun fact, I'd always AUTOMATICALLY hit (V) everytime because thats the (A) equivalent in Premiere, and that always disables my clip. haha. I guess it's really a long way for me to fully learn the new ropes of FCPx from the old FCP7

Positioning shape mask on Basic Text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.