You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old 2010 Macbook air

Hi guys, due to the Coronavirus situation i just turned my old macbook air 2010 to use for remote learning . it is still on snow leopard.

I would like to start with a fresh install as the disc is coming up with errors but I understand it would be best to format and start a new.

given i am stuck at home and it is a number of years late :) how can i do it?

I dont have an installation cd nor do I have the external dvd player. I have usb flash drives and a windows pc to help out.

So how can i use an external usb drive to format / reinstall the various systems. nothing of interest to backup

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:44 AM

Your 2010 MacBook Air should be capable of being upgraded to macOS 10.13.6 "High Sierra."

To get there from Snow Leopard, you will need to first upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. From there you can decide, whether or not, you will want to further upgrade it to High Sierra.

Ref:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2020 11:44 AM in response to AlexKarageorgis

Your 2010 MacBook Air should be capable of being upgraded to macOS 10.13.6 "High Sierra."

To get there from Snow Leopard, you will need to first upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. From there you can decide, whether or not, you will want to further upgrade it to High Sierra.

Ref:

Mar 30, 2020 1:32 PM in response to Tesserax

first of all thanks for helping out. i got going on what you proposed.

• so did the el capitan download. tried to create the bootable media so i can then do a clean install after repairing the disk.

found out that i cant use the createinstallmedia on snow leopard (need to be 10.9 and above) so decided to update the snow leopard first to el capitan and then create the recover disk. unfortunately due to the disk issues i am now getting an error that "os x couldnt be installed on your computer file system verify or repair failed." error.

Now i think i am stuck in a loop and cant do soemthing.

I am trying to create the bootable media disk from my windows pc now using this.

https://www.wikigain.com/create-bootable-usb-installer-for-mac-transmac/

any better ideas pls do shoot :)

old 2010 Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.