You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally deleted my Macintosh HD

I was attempting to wipe my old MacBook Pro (2010/2011) and went too far and erased my Macintosh HD via the Disk Utility.

The MacBook Pro will not start up properly now (I assume thats because I literally deleted all software.

So I think i need to to reinstall a new copy of OS X and when I click the option to re-install via disk utility, I get the pop up notification saying 'A required download is missing'.

Is my mistake fixable?

I also have a newish working MacBook Pro and iMac I can connect the old Mac Book pro too if necessary to copy the OS X from possibly?

Any help is welcome! Thankyou!!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 8:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 8:22 AM

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

Typically Recover or Internet Recover https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 6, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Madi_Ruby

Madi_Ruby wrote:

It is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011.

The attached photos in the original post also show that it won't let me "internet recover' and keeps giving me pop up box of 'A required download is missing' when I try to internet recover. When I try to restore from backup - it cannot find any backups :/

"I was attempting to wipe my old MacBook Pro (2010/2011)"

It sounds like you were successfully — what was the goal?

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite - Apple Support

Jan 6, 2020 8:34 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011. All I can see is it telling me: OS X Utilities (Version 1.0 (216), but when I click to install it only gives me the option of OS X Yosemite (See the attached photo in the original post).

The attached photos in the original post also show that it won't let me "internet recover' and keeps giving me pop up box of 'A required download is missing' when I try to internet recover. When I try to restore from backup - it cannot find any backups :/

Thanks for replying!

Accidentally deleted my Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.