You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity Monitor columns are gone

There is an older conversation with this topic and the suggestion that the columns can be restored by deleting the activity app preferences plist:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ActivityMonitor.plist

I now have this same problem, with the columns having suddenly disappeared from my Activity Monitor, however that preference file is also not present in my Library folder. So the solution does not seem to be available any longer, or at least to me for some reason.

I'm operating OS 10.15.4 Catalina on my late 2014 iMac.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 12:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 10:34 AM

Just to be sure the file doesn't exist, while in the Finder, press 'command shift G', paste the line into the window that opens and hit Return. It will either highlight the file to delete or give you a file not found message.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ActivityMonitor.plist
5 replies

Apr 5, 2020 10:27 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you for the suggestion. I finally had time to return to this problem today and try booting into Safe Mode as you suggest.

However the problem still persists. While operating in safe mode, my activity monitor does not show any of the columns. And when I go into my Library folder (while still in safe mode), I do not find the preferences file that (I think) should be there for the activity monitor application.

If I am interpreting this correctly, that should mean that the problem is not being caused by some interference that a particular third-party app may be causing when loading during computer start.

Some additional info regarding my computer and how I use it.

I did recently upgrade the RAM in my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) from the standard 8 GB to 32 GB, using RAM that I purchased from Best Buy and installed myself (4 x 8 GB modules). My system info does show that the memory is correctly installed and being recognized (About This Mac states that I have 32 GB now).

My use of this computer is very straightforward; I don't use many apps beyond the standard iMac package.

What I do use frequently are Microsoft Office applications (primarily Word for Mac, and Excel for Mac), and other browsers in addition to Safari (Chrome, Opera, Firefox).

The one software change that I have made to my computer recently, other than the upgrade to OS 10.15.4, was to install Parallels for Mac, so that I could have Windows capability. I also installed VMware Horizon Client, to give me the capability to remote access my work computer while working at home.

I don't know exactly when the problem with Activity Monitor began, because I don't use it every day. I do know that after beginning to use Parallels and VMware, I was curious to see how much RAM was being used by those programs, so I opened Activity Monitor. That was when I first noticed this issue.

Apr 5, 2020 10:59 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you - it did locate the file, I deleted it, problem now fixed!

It is not at all clear to me why I could not locate the file by using 'search' when in a finder window or using Spotlight Search, but both of those methods did not result in my finding the file. My mistake was not understanding that there are more than one preference folders and this file was buried within the Users hierarchy which is not the preference folder I was going to when manually drilling down using one of the finder windows.

Thanks very much for your help. It is a reminder to me of the file system hierarchy in the Mac that I don't often think about, since I don't need to to dealing with system settings or other things like this very often at all.

I much appreciate your assistance.

Activity Monitor columns are gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.