You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3 Update: Battery Issue

so I updated this morning to Catalina 10.15.3. Prior to the update, my battery was completely fine - a bit old, but it would consistently hold a 3 hour charge in regular use.

since the update, as soon as I disconnect my Mac from a charger, it turns off. The external battery doesn’t seem to work anymore, and the only way I can work is if it’s constantly connected. Does anyone know of any bug related to the update or why my Mac would all of the sudden be doing this?

for context, my laptop is a MacBook Pro Mid 2012. When I see the battery settings, it states that “battery is charged” and “condition: replace now” - although this condition has been the case for the last year.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 6:54 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 13, 2020 11:35 AM in response to colm228

The exact same thing happened to me. Battery working fine on a 2016 model, no problems at all then updated to Catalina and now when I unplug from the AC adapter it shuts down and turns off, says "replace battery know". Called and after 6 support staff and every single thing they can think of they say the only option is for me to buy a new battery! They say if enough people have the same issue they "may" release an extension.

Mar 20, 2020 7:49 AM in response to colm228

colm228 wrote:

so I updated this morning to Catalina 10.15.3. Prior to the update, my battery was completely fine - a bit old, but it would consistently hold a 3 hour charge in regular use.

since the update, as soon as I disconnect my Mac from a charger, it turns off. The external battery doesn’t seem to work anymore, and the only way I can work is if it’s constantly connected. Does anyone know of any bug related to the update or why my Mac would all of the sudden be doing this?

for context, my laptop is a MacBook Pro Mid 2012. When I see the battery settings, it states that “battery is charged” and “condition: replace now” - although this condition has been the case for the last year.

You can try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

However your battery needs servicing—ie replacing

DIY Battery Replacements for Apple MacBook Pro - OWC

or

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3 Update: Battery Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.