You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Need To Merge Music Files That Are All Over the Place...

Over the years I have accumulated several folders in various versions of iTunes that contain my music files. These folders range from 100GB to 400GB in size, so I am sure that there is some duplication of songs. How can I combine all of the music in these various folders into one location that does not contain duplicates?

Do I need to use third party software to combine without duplicating, or can I do it some other way?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 4:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 5:50 PM

" The same menu also has a > Consolidate Files function."

Choose or create an iTunes Library, then add/import/consolidate all the other folders into it. Everything should be done from within the iTunes interface, not by dealing with music files or folders directly in the Finder.

Also make sure your Preferences are set correctly.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2020 5:50 PM in response to donhoos66

" The same menu also has a > Consolidate Files function."

Choose or create an iTunes Library, then add/import/consolidate all the other folders into it. Everything should be done from within the iTunes interface, not by dealing with music files or folders directly in the Finder.

Also make sure your Preferences are set correctly.

Mar 8, 2020 5:46 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks, I'm aware of that....but my question is more about how I get all of my music files into one folder instead of in various folders on various external hard drives etc. I want to be able to point my iTunes to one music folder that I know contains all of the music that I've downloaded and ripped. Right now, I'm not confident that there is one file that contains it all. Hopefully this makes sense.

Mar 8, 2020 6:02 PM in response to Rysz

Alternative method if the music files are not in sub-folders:

Drag all the files from the smaller folder into the larger folder. Since Finder doesn’t allow two files with exactly the same file name to exist within a single folder, it will move only those that are not duplicates, leaving the others in the original folder.

I Need To Merge Music Files That Are All Over the Place...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.