You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I combine Music media folder contents ?

I have 4 music media folders which all seem to be in use. I am considering transferring them to be all together in one folder. This might sort out duplications. Will this mean that I screw up the function of Music App ??

Here is the scene at present, some advice would be welcomed ---

iMac 27″, 12.6

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 5:45 AM

Try Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community and Duplicate songs in iTunes/Music - Apple Community. Physically merging folders by hand on a Mac can result in files being deleted if the two different sets of folders contain any identically named subfolders, so tread carefully.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 13, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Graham Giles

Hello Graham Giles,

Thanks for reaching out and posting in Apple Support Communities and sharing the screenshot.

We see exactly what you are referring to about combining the music into one folder. Before moving any music we'd like for you to look at Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support. It has some good information, including the following:

Consolidate your files in the Music folder

Depending on how you imported items into Music, some items in your library might be stored in different locations (for example, in another folder or on another storage device).

You can consolidate all the files in your library in the Music folder—for example, to make it easier to move your library to a new computer.
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose File > Library > Organize Library.
2. Select “Consolidate files.”

Files remain in their original locations, and copies are placed in the default folder.

We hopes this helps! Reach back out if you have any questions.

Take care!

Sep 14, 2023 5:21 AM in response to Dorain1

Many thanks for your time with that helpful reply.

I am puzzled as to why I have 3 Music folders 2 of which aren't in the media folder but appear to be in use. I thought I could just move them altogether without any problem. I think that all my songs are in these folders and nowhere else. If I consolidate there will be one extra folder of about 173gb. Can I then safely delete the originals ? The collection has been built up over at least 20 years and I wouldn't want to lose playlists, favourites etc.

As a safeguard I could consolidate to a separate hard drive as well. Will the system allow me to consolidate twice ??

Thanks for the links, I have read them.

Can I combine Music media folder contents ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.