You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why the next line of text is more inside instead of being aligned?

I have a macbook air and I am using pages to write when i m writing the text is not fully aligned on the left is more towards the middle of the page here is an example:

The word forehead should have been aligned on the left. The setting is aligned on the left

why is it happening?

P.S. is not only in pages but also microsoft word as well.

I need a very quick answer thank you in advance !

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:31 AM

In your example it seems only the fourth line is affected, and I don't how this could be. However, there's a setting that would cause everything after the first line to be indented. Would you mind checking it?

1. Click in an affected paragraph
  2. In the Inspector (right) click the Layout tab
  3. Click Indents to show it, if it's hidden

If the value for Left is higher than First, you've created what's called a hanging indent. You can fix it by making Left the same as First.

If this doesn't help, I'd be really keen to know more as we should be able to solve this!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2020 7:31 AM in response to Lav2CapturePhotography

In your example it seems only the fourth line is affected, and I don't how this could be. However, there's a setting that would cause everything after the first line to be indented. Would you mind checking it?

1. Click in an affected paragraph
  2. In the Inspector (right) click the Layout tab
  3. Click Indents to show it, if it's hidden

If the value for Left is higher than First, you've created what's called a hanging indent. You can fix it by making Left the same as First.

If this doesn't help, I'd be really keen to know more as we should be able to solve this!

Jan 26, 2020 1:01 PM in response to Lav2CapturePhotography

Hi Lav,

Like Martin, I'm mystified.

I would start by going to the View menu and choosing Show Invisibles.

This lets you view all non-printing characters.

Also in the View menu, Show Rulers.

With Rulers shown, place the insertion point in the middle of the top line of text, then tap the down arrow to move the insertion point down a line at a time while you watch the Ruler for changes.

Regards,

Barry

Why the next line of text is more inside instead of being aligned?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.