You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 27" Imac wont recongnize Canon camcorder or canon 50D camera when attached with USB

New 27" Imac wont recongnize Canon camcorder or canon 50D camera when attached with USB

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 3:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 3:23 PM

Hello, my friend.

You didn't say what version macOS you're running, but you say your iMac is new so I will assume 10.15.x Catalina.

There are a couple of things you can try right off.

Visit the App Store > Updates and see if there are any macOS updates that can be downloaded for your iMac.

If so, get those installed.

Visit the Canon website and look for driver or firmware updates for you cameras there. If something is available, download and install it.

Also, check the obvious... cables and connections... look for failures, frays, debris in the camera ports, etc.

Reboot the iMac and the cameras and try to make the connections with the cameras again.

If these things offer no resolution, let us know. We have lots of smart people with lots of great knowledge here.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2020 3:23 PM in response to Madmaxmp43

Hello, my friend.

You didn't say what version macOS you're running, but you say your iMac is new so I will assume 10.15.x Catalina.

There are a couple of things you can try right off.

Visit the App Store > Updates and see if there are any macOS updates that can be downloaded for your iMac.

If so, get those installed.

Visit the Canon website and look for driver or firmware updates for you cameras there. If something is available, download and install it.

Also, check the obvious... cables and connections... look for failures, frays, debris in the camera ports, etc.

Reboot the iMac and the cameras and try to make the connections with the cameras again.

If these things offer no resolution, let us know. We have lots of smart people with lots of great knowledge here.

Jan 11, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Madmaxmp43

Check the Canon Quick Start Guide and check to see if the camera(s) have a Disk Mode setting.

If not, you can remove the CF Card from the 50D and use a USB multi reader to import the images to your Mac.

Not sure which Canon camcorder you have?

If it has an SD card, you can put it into the iMac's SD card slot or use the USB multi card reader and import the video to your Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.