You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Description

I just noticed that the Description field in Photos is no longer being populated with the IPTC Caption (description) field in Catalina. I've been writing captions in the IPTC field since I got my first digital camera in 2000 and prefer to still do so since the info remains with the file. Albums are nice but my memory no longer retains all the details of some of these photos. Especially the ones I scanned in from my parents and grandparents photos. And while they're at it, please make an option to add the description below the photo when I'm leafing through an album!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 5:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 1:51 PM

As to the main problem you reported: When I import a photo with an IPTC description tag, it is shown in Photos 5.0 on Catalina in the Info: When the Preview.app can see the description, Photos will be showing it as as well. For example: I just imported this tagged photo and the description is shown.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2019 1:51 PM in response to léonie

As to the main problem you reported: When I import a photo with an IPTC description tag, it is shown in Photos 5.0 on Catalina in the Info: When the Preview.app can see the description, Photos will be showing it as as well. For example: I just imported this tagged photo and the description is shown.

Dec 22, 2019 1:41 PM in response to mlk51

I amusing the application Power Photos to open a second browser for the Photos Library.

PowerPhotos lets you browse the photos with titles and subtitles. YOu canchose, what you want to see as the subtitle, the description, the keywords, and more.

You can view the albums as a grid of thumbnails or as a list in columns and sort by the columns.

I find it very convenient. Even the free trial version will let you browse the Photos Library this way.

For example - an album with titles and descriptions in Power Photos:

Or in column view as a list:

Photos Description

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.