You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"More Info:" on File Info panel not populating in Finder window

Hello: I've seen an older post about this but no help there... I've been using IPTC metadata for my photos for years. Recently I've noticed that the "More Info:" section on the File Info panel (Cmd-I on a photo) is not populating in Finder window. The information is not lost on export from Lightroom (processing RAW images to JPEG) as I check back on Photo Mechanic 6. All other metadata information appears to be complete. The More Info: section would be where the main caption and description for each photo would appear. For some clients this is not a problem but for clients that do not have metadata reader or Adobe PS (for example) rely on using the described method above to get needed photo caption. I am using Big Sur 11.6.1 (and I believe that the problem has come up since the upgrade)

Is there a way to fix this? Any other photojournalist that has come up with this problem?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 9:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:20 AM

Hey Viequé,

It appears that you're not finding the IPTC metadata for photos you're exporting from the Photos application using your Mac on macOS Big Sur. We understand how important this information is to your clients, and we're glad to provide assistance.

Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support -- Make sure you're exporting the photos in their original format with "Export IPTC as XMP" selected.

If that's the way you're exporting your photos from the Photos library, have you edited them at all afterwards? If so, are you editing them with the Photos app, or using Adobe products?

All the best.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 30, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Viequé

Hey Viequé,

It appears that you're not finding the IPTC metadata for photos you're exporting from the Photos application using your Mac on macOS Big Sur. We understand how important this information is to your clients, and we're glad to provide assistance.

Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support -- Make sure you're exporting the photos in their original format with "Export IPTC as XMP" selected.

If that's the way you're exporting your photos from the Photos library, have you edited them at all afterwards? If so, are you editing them with the Photos app, or using Adobe products?

All the best.

Oct 30, 2021 4:16 PM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks for your response. My workflow has always been Photo Mechanic (for culling and filling all IPTC info of selected photos) Then editing (and exporting as JPEGS) from Lightroom (sometimes Photoshop) to a separate proyect folder that I later back up. I've never used the Photos library or folder. So the photos do not get edited at this point (the IPTC metadata is edited before exporting them as JPEGs) The thing is that this has never been a problem before. I will double check with Lightroom settings to see if anything has changed (maybe by a recent upgrade)

"More Info:" on File Info panel not populating in Finder window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.