You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode with Older Mac?

The display on my son's 1-year old Macbook Pro has gone kaput. He hasn't taken a backup of it in over a month. So, we're putting it into target disk mode and trying to connect it to a 2015 MBP to run a backup. The thing is, I don't have any Thunderbolt 3 - Thunderbolt 2 adapters. I do have gazillions of USB 3.0 - 3.1 cables.

Is there any way I can do this via USB? When I connect the two computers, the 2015 MBP delivers a message that I must connect them via Thunderbolt. Now, that MBP is running Sierra. If I update it to run something more current, would that make it work?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 5:03 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 19, 2019 8:07 AM in response to Gary Beberman

Those articles are written and reviewed by mathematical thinkers. You must read them literally, and read nothing into them atet is not explicitly stated.

Connect your computers with the correct cable:

Identify the ports on both Mac computers so that you can choose the correct cable. Target disk mode works when your computers are connected to each other using any of these ports:

• Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) 
  • USB-C 
  • Thunderbolt 2 
  • FireWire 

No listing of USB-A ports there. USB-A has NEVER worked in older computers, even if USB3-capable.

I expect they are showing that Belkin cable for use with a Thunderbolt3-capable computer, which uses its USB more interchangeably with ThunderBolt than any computer that came before.

Thunderbolt 3 Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode with Older Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.