You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy Chain old iMac to new iMac?

I have a 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (iMac10,1) with CS6 that I don't want to lose access to; however, I need to upgrade from my ancient iMac to obtain a current OS/web browser. If I buy a newer iMac (*MHJY3LL/A) can I set the older iMac to Target Disk Mode and *boot* into it using the newer iMac as my display (toggle between the old and new iMacs as needed)?

I read in an Apple support document that 2019 and newer iMacs don't support Target Display Mode. Is that relevant to my particular situation or would it be considered a master/slave setup between the new iMac and old iMac?

Basically I just want to use the new iMac as a display for accessing the old iMac applications, and for all the other tasks not related to legacy applications to boot into the new iMac/OS. For this, would I also require a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter?

What would be the correct steps to get this type of setup working, assuming it can be made to work?

• Regarding MHJY3LL/A: I located it on Amazon added in June of this year. However, I can't find this model listed/sold elsewhere, so I'm guessing it's something specific to Amazon? At any rate, I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who is familiar with its specifications (port types, OS, release year, etc.).

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 3:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 4:16 PM

NewsView wrote:

I have a 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (iMac10,1) with CS6 that I don't want to lose access to; however, I need to upgrade from my ancient iMac to obtain a current OS/web browser. If I buy a newer iMac (*MHJY3LL/A) can I set the older iMac to Target Disk Mode and *boot* into it using the newer iMac as my display (toggle between the old and new iMacs as needed)?

No. If you're talking about Target Disk Mode, that's a non-starter for at least two reasons:

1. If either Mac has Big Sur or later installed, you can't use USB Target Disk Mode. You have to use Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode – and 2009 iMacs don't have Thunderbolt.
  2. Even if you could make the connection, that wouldn't give the new Mac the ability to run CS6 (or to boot using the version of macOS installed on the 2009 iMac).

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

I read in an Apple support document that 2019 and newer iMacs don't support Target Display Mode. Is that relevant to my particular situation or would it be considered a master/slave setup between the new iMac and old iMac?

Yes. Neither Mac could be a display for the other.

• The new iMac can't be a TDM display for the other because it is too new.
  • The old Mac might be a 21.5" Late 2009 iMac (that doesn't support TDM) or a 27" Late 2009 iMac (that does). But even if it was a 27" Late 2009 iMac that supports Mini DisplayPort TDM, the new Mac would be "too new" and thus would not be able to take advantage of the old Mac's TDM features.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Basically I just want to use the new iMac as a display for accessing the old iMac applications, and for all the other tasks not related to legacy applications to boot into the new iMac/OS.

Unfortunately, it won't work that way – at least not with Target Disk Mode or Target Display Mode.

For this, would I also require a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter?

You would only need that adapter if you have FireWire peripherals you want to save.

If you have a MiniDV or Digital8 camcorder with a (FireWire / iLink / IEEE 1394) interface for transferring digital video, then you might need a chain of adapters: Apple TB3-to-TB2 => Apple TB-to-FW800 => FW800 to 400 cable.

If you're hooking up old external drives, some of them may already have dual FireWire / USB interfaces (simply switch to the USB interface if you transfer the drives to the new computer), and in other cases, you could think about transferring the drive mechanisms to new USB-A (USB 3) or USB-C (USB 3) enclosures.

What would be the correct steps to get this type of setup working, assuming it can be made to work?

You'll probably have to look at other options – like:

Set up some sort of software-based screen sharing (if you can find anything that works with the 2009 iMac).

Get a big desk and put the new and old systems side by side, without trying to use one as a display for the other.

Get a big desk and a monitor that has two video inputs and connect both Macs to that monitor. Use the monitor's controls to switch the screen between acting as a display for the new Mac, and a second display for the old iMac.

Maybe enable File Sharing on one Mac, and have it serve up a folder on its drive to be mounted as a network drive on the other machine.

Upgrade to the current version of Photoshop (although that would mean paying subscription / rental fees for one of Adobe's Photography Plans).

Switch to an editor other than Photoshop (such as Affinity Photo V2, or GIMP) if you can't stand the subscription (rental) model, and need a powerful editor, but don't have a specific requirement for Photoshop.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2023 4:16 PM in response to NewsView

NewsView wrote:

No. If you're talking about Target Disk Mode, that's a non-starter for at least two reasons:

1. If either Mac has Big Sur or later installed, you can't use USB Target Disk Mode. You have to use Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode – and 2009 iMacs don't have Thunderbolt.
  2. Even if you could make the connection, that wouldn't give the new Mac the ability to run CS6 (or to boot using the version of macOS installed on the 2009 iMac).

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Yes. Neither Mac could be a display for the other.

• The new iMac can't be a TDM display for the other because it is too new.
  • The old Mac might be a 21.5" Late 2009 iMac (that doesn't support TDM) or a 27" Late 2009 iMac (that does). But even if it was a 27" Late 2009 iMac that supports Mini DisplayPort TDM, the new Mac would be "too new" and thus would not be able to take advantage of the old Mac's TDM features.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Basically I just want to use the new iMac as a display for accessing the old iMac applications, and for all the other tasks not related to legacy applications to boot into the new iMac/OS.

Unfortunately, it won't work that way – at least not with Target Disk Mode or Target Display Mode.

For this, would I also require a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter?

You would only need that adapter if you have FireWire peripherals you want to save.

If you have a MiniDV or Digital8 camcorder with a (FireWire / iLink / IEEE 1394) interface for transferring digital video, then you might need a chain of adapters: Apple TB3-to-TB2 => Apple TB-to-FW800 => FW800 to 400 cable.

If you're hooking up old external drives, some of them may already have dual FireWire / USB interfaces (simply switch to the USB interface if you transfer the drives to the new computer), and in other cases, you could think about transferring the drive mechanisms to new USB-A (USB 3) or USB-C (USB 3) enclosures.

You'll probably have to look at other options – like:

Set up some sort of software-based screen sharing (if you can find anything that works with the 2009 iMac).

Get a big desk and put the new and old systems side by side, without trying to use one as a display for the other.

Get a big desk and a monitor that has two video inputs and connect both Macs to that monitor. Use the monitor's controls to switch the screen between acting as a display for the new Mac, and a second display for the old iMac.

Maybe enable File Sharing on one Mac, and have it serve up a folder on its drive to be mounted as a network drive on the other machine.

Upgrade to the current version of Photoshop (although that would mean paying subscription / rental fees for one of Adobe's Photography Plans).

Switch to an editor other than Photoshop (such as Affinity Photo V2, or GIMP) if you can't stand the subscription (rental) model, and need a powerful editor, but don't have a specific requirement for Photoshop.

Jul 14, 2023 4:21 PM in response to NewsView

Your old macOS install not going to boot and run a recent iMac.

I'm making some assumptions here, including the central role of CS6, and that the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription is not interesting to you.

You can keep running CS6 on the old Mac certainly, or can replace CS6 on the new Mac with any of the fine alternatives to Adobe products, including Acorn, Affinity, and Pixelmator Pro.

If you really want to work at what is probably a somewhat more supportable variant of what you are envisioning (mostly to keep CS6, if this follows a common pattern of postings around here), you can acquire a used Intel Mac, and can probably then install OS X 10.11 as a guest in a virtual machine, and run CS6 there. With an Apple silicon Mac, the analogous approach gets more involved, as you'll need not only a virtual machine but also an emulator—UTM, maybe—and that all then gets slower, and potentially less stable.

Don't get too focused on an effort to (badly) replace an external hard disk with an ancient and tiny and slow hard disk in that old iMac, too. An iMac is a terrible and terribly inefficient external disk mounting enclosure, and a hard disk from 2009 is just not worth preserving. Your goal and your focus here should (probably) be centrally about CS6, or about an Adobe CS6 replacement.

Jul 14, 2023 4:22 PM in response to NewsView

NewsView wrote:

I have a 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (iMac10,1) with CS6 that I don't want to lose access to; however, I need to upgrade from my ancient iMac to obtain a current OS/web browser.

With respect to the Web browser, you can't upgrade beyond the High Sierra version of Safari. (High Sierra being the latest version of macOS that will run on that Mac.) The only way to get to a newer version of Safari is to get a new machine.

However, the version of Firefox that runs on High Sierra is still receiving updates. Until you get the new Mac, you might want to consider using it for some of your Web browsing.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Jul 16, 2023 12:41 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thanks for the helpful response, Servant of Cats.

I am using Firefox since none of the other browsers are receiving updates. However, every now and then I run into websites that are not fully supported. (For example, it was a problem on the FedEx website where clicking the "submit" button for tracking didn't work for about two years.)

You wrote:

"The old Mac might be a 21.5" Late 2009 iMac (that doesn't support TDM)

or a 27" Late 2009 iMac (that does). But even if it was a 27" Late 2009

iMac that supports Mini DisplayPort TDM, the new Mac would be "too new"

and thus would not be able to take advantage of the old Mac's TDM

features."

My old Mac is a late 2009 27" so it should support TDM, but if I understand your prior response correctly the newest Mac that would be backwards compatible would be a 2019.

Thanks for breaking it down so clearly :-)

Daisy Chain old iMac to new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.