You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to get two-factor authentication without signing in to iCloud?

I wanted to set up two-factor authentication. But the instructions seem to require me to sign into iCloud. I do not want to have an iCloud account. I do not want my Mac to be connected to iCloud in any way, shape or form.

I just want a two-factor authentication on my Apple ID without having a cloud service. Is there any way to do that?

(I do not have any iOS device, only a Mac running Mojave).

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 4:28 PM

You have to have an iCloud account since you only have the Mac - Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support since the actual 2FA 6-digit codes are sent by iCloud push notification.

You can turn off everything in System preferences for iCloud though and not actually use it for anything though.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2019 4:28 PM in response to Herouth Maoz

You have to have an iCloud account since you only have the Mac - Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support since the actual 2FA 6-digit codes are sent by iCloud push notification.

You can turn off everything in System preferences for iCloud though and not actually use it for anything though.

Is there a way to get two-factor authentication without signing in to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.