You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe 2 45W Overheating

Recently the 45 W Magsafe 2 power charger for this Macbook Air is getting hot - almost too hot to touch.

Connector and port are clean. No discoloration from heat on the adapter, and it does charge the Macbook OK.

I searched Support and only suggestion was try resetting the SMC since it controls charging, I guess. Only problem after following instructions to reset SMC - how do you know it was reset? Any guidance would be appreciated, on either the heating or SMC reset, or hopefully both. Thanks.

Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013

OSX 10.9.5

45W Magsafe 2 Power Adapter Model A1436

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 1:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 5:16 PM

I like to Option Boot the laptop and let it sit at the Apple boot picker menu. When performing the SMC reset, the laptop will instantly power off. The Magsafe LED should also change colors as well as it resets.

Take the laptop and your power adapter to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out, or you can try using another power adapter.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2019 5:16 PM in response to Venicejim

I like to Option Boot the laptop and let it sit at the Apple boot picker menu. When performing the SMC reset, the laptop will instantly power off. The Magsafe LED should also change colors as well as it resets.

Take the laptop and your power adapter to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out, or you can try using another power adapter.

Magsafe 2 45W Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.