You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Vocal Options

I am using Garageband for a Podcast: all the vocal options (except Narration vocal) have an echo effect. All of them: Bright, Compressed, Natural. I have tried to adjust with Master Echo and Master Reverb, but nothing works. Am I missing something?

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 10:20 AM

Have you tried to change the echo in the track's smart controls?

4 replies

Aug 24, 2019 5:19 PM in response to dickndi

Thanks for writing back. I tried the echo adjustment, and was able to tone it down, but it is still noticeable. I guess what is confusing me is, out of all the voice options, they all have an echo effect, except narration.

Bright, classic, natural all echo! Even the novelty options, telephone, dance, tracking, and of course tube. I find it flummoxing that ALL of the vocal choices offered, with the exception of narration, have the echo effect. I don't understand the reasoning.

Why would you use an option with the echo effect, and have to go back in to adjust it to lose the effect?

The obvious question would be, "why don't you just use the narration vocal?" My equipment is good, not the best, and some of the other options simply sound richer and better.

Thanks so much

Aug 27, 2019 2:25 AM in response to dickndi

You're welcome.

Once you adjusted the smart controls as you like them, you could save the adjusted settings as a new custom instrument patch "my Podcast" or similar. With the vocal track selected, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the instrument Library pane. Then you have to adjust the controls only one.

Garageband Vocal Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.