You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving files from back up drive after upgrading to Mojave

I currently have Mac OS 10.8.5 running on my MacBook Pro (Retina 15 inch, early 2013), and I want to upgrade it to Mojave by doing a clean install. For backups I use time machine with a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. Once Mojave is installed will I be able to retrieve my files, particularly images in iPhoto, from the backup drive?

I've already been in contact with Seagate, but the only answer they gave me was to contact Apple because "the difference between backup options in Mountain Lion OS version and Mojave is out of the scope of our support." They just kept telling me to back up manually by copy and paste even though my question was about retrieving files from the Seagate drive!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 7:10 AM

Be sure to use Migration Migration Assistant when you first boot the new system.

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

iPhoto will be replaced with Photos and the photo library will be moved to Photos.

5 replies

Jun 15, 2019 7:50 AM in response to Estelle M

Only iPhoto v9.6.1 will run on Mojave. If you do not have this version, you can try to get it from your Mountain Lion Mac App Store via your Purchases tab. You cannot do this from Mojave as there is no purchases tab. Apple did not provide an iPhoto v9.6.1 updater on their downloads server either. Apple's Photos application in Mojave can migrate iPhoto libraries, but gives up features to iPhoto. As of Sept. 30, 2018, Apple no longer does any photo albums or custom printing from iPhoto. It is all handled in the Photos application on Mojave in the form of Mac App Store sourced Photo Project extensions.

Check your printer/scanner vendors' driver support websites for Mojave compatibility. If you are using a device as old, or older than Mountain Lion, then vendor support may not exist for Mojave.

Third-party applications that run on Mountain Lion need to be individually checked on their vendor site for Mojave compatbility. I have an application here that was written for Snow Leopard, that somehow, continues to work on Mojave, and that is a rarity. Also check RoaringApps for user submitted compatibility findings.

Retrieving files from back up drive after upgrading to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.