You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer old SMS text from my iPhone 6 Plus to my new IPhone XS Max

Someone please help me transfer my old SMS text from my iPhone sex plus to my new iPhone ex S I seem to not be transferring the text from my current they are all from January I had to use those using one Apple ID and I hope that this is not the problem one Apple ID is running on two different phone numbers someone please please help me

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 3:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 4:01 PM

If you have your old phone still available, back it up to iCloud (your Apple ID). Then when you setup the new phone link it to the same Apple ID and when it detects the backup you accept the offer to load the backup to the new phone. That’s exactly what I did when I had to replace my phone recently and all my data just appeared automatically on the new phone, including messages. Depending how much data has to restore and sync in the background it might need a day or so, but it will appear.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2019 4:01 PM in response to debôrah

If you have your old phone still available, back it up to iCloud (your Apple ID). Then when you setup the new phone link it to the same Apple ID and when it detects the backup you accept the offer to load the backup to the new phone. That’s exactly what I did when I had to replace my phone recently and all my data just appeared automatically on the new phone, including messages. Depending how much data has to restore and sync in the background it might need a day or so, but it will appear.

Jun 3, 2019 4:09 PM in response to debôrah

One point I missed. There is no problem having two devices on one Apple ID, that is exactly how it is designed to work and exactly what you need for the transfer to a new device. The concept of Apple ID is that each human has a single ID for all the devices they want to share data, but they might have a second ID for devices they want to be isolated. So I have one ID for all my personal devices (watch, iPhones, iPad) and a different ID for one company iPhone which is never allowed to see or share my personal data.

How to transfer old SMS text from my iPhone 6 Plus to my new IPhone XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.