You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can’t change the playback speed or display pictures from Photo app post update

I had created a great slideshow of a recent trip, then I upgraded to ios18. Now I can’t display the photos as I want, can’t change the playback speed or add my own music from itunes. This is HORRIBLE!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 10:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 5:45 PM

I have the same problem and am furious!!!!! If you find a solution let me know!!!!

13 replies

Oct 3, 2024 3:46 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

I am using iPad OS18. The photos are in an album of their own as well as saved as a memory slideshow. Before I upgraded to OS18 I was able to display the photos in a magazine style…one full photo at a time. I was also able to change the speed of the slides by using the slider from “rabbit to turtle”, and add my own music from my iTunes library. Now with the update my photos are grouped/cropped automatically, it plays too fast and I can’t use my iTunes library. The links you provided were for the iPhone not iPad.

Oct 9, 2024 11:57 AM in response to Btanberg

I have the same issue slide ever since I upgraded to iOS 18 I have been having the same issue watching a slideshow where you can control the speed on your TV is not possible. The image will be displayed on the TV but no slideshow. The slideshow is going through either my iPad or my iPhone. I have been on the phone with Apple Tech this morning. Spent half an hour with one and another 40 minutes with another one and they couldn’t figure out so it must be a bug hopefully the next update they will fix it most likely they won’t tell us what they fixed. I think somebody missed that point. My workaround hand it up, loading the images on a computer, and then I mirrored the screen to the TV with the code that they gave me from my TV screen.

Oct 9, 2024 12:11 PM in response to Btanberg

That is exactly the issue I’m having. I did a wonderful slideshow presentation of my grandson and future bride to play at the rehearsal dinner. I had the slides perfectly in order. I had some depicting Bible verses. And I had the music perfectly selected for the slideshow. When I went to play it, it cropped whatever ones it wanted to crop it stacked whatever ones that wanted to stack and my music was no longer even accessible. Whoever designed this had a serious deficit and understanding the needs of the consumer. If they are relying on AI to decide what I want to show and when and how I am more than willing to opt out.

Oct 3, 2024 11:43 AM in response to Btanberg

OK, so can you tell me which OS you are using? You say you're using an iPad, but you said that you're using iOS18, which is an iPhone OS. You also say that you're using iPadOS15. Which is it?

When I said "clarify… exactly what you are doing," I meant what steps do you go through and what happens. You can use the links I sent to help specify the steps. How is what you get different than what you did before?

Have you put the pictures you chose for your slideshow in an album of their own?

Oct 20, 2024 1:57 AM in response to Btanberg

I have the same problem. This is the answer from Apple Support. Link is in Spanish but you can change that. Personalizar los recuerdos en la app Fotos en el iPhone - Soporte técnico de Apple (ES)

Look through the following link you can consult these more detailed functions and how you can edit them.

Once the slide is created, it will be saved as a "memory".

And to change the duration of a memory depending on the number of photos in a memory, you can change the duration of a memory to short, medium, or long. The option you choose automatically adjusts the number of photos included.

1 Open the Photos app on your iPhone.

2 Scroll down to Memories, then tap a memory to play it.

3 Tap the screen, then tap .

4 Tap Short Duration, Medium Duration, or Long Duration.

If you have customised the length of the video by adding or removing photos yourself, the selected length is personalised.

In my case my number of photos is 43 photos and 6 videos. I only have the possibility to choose “short” or “medium”.

Regarding the issue “music” I have no solution as I didn’t ask for it but I am sure Apple Support will be able to help.

If you have the solution, please add it here.

Thank you and good luck!

Oct 3, 2024 10:28 AM in response to Btanberg

You say iOS 18, but you list an iPad Air 2 as your device. Are you talking about an iPhone or an iPad?

Slide shows are saved as Memories. Are you editing a Memory?

Perhaps you can look at this:

Make and play slideshows on iPhone - Apple Support

And at this:

Personalize your memories in Photos on iPhone - Apple Support

If you can clarify what device you're using and exactly what you are doing, we may be able to help further.

Oct 4, 2024 6:55 AM in response to Btanberg

I think you'r right. Something similar has happened in the "Play Slideshow" routine on the Mac-- there's never been much versatility with it, but I liked using it to review my choices for favorites from a shoot. Now it occasionally does the grouping thing, and I hate it. But on the Mac, there is a second option to "Create a Slideshow," and that offers lots of adjustments. I think the only thing we can do about the new "Play Slideshow" routine is to let Apple know what we think:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

There are some slideshow apps in the App Store, and some (not many) are free. Another choice is Apple's very powerful Keynote, which I've used to give presentations to groups using my iPad connected to a projector.

I provided those iPhone links because you said that you were using iOS 18.

Oct 20, 2024 7:46 AM in response to Mac_User007

Mac_User007 wrote:

I can’t believe Apple tech support are suggesting this long workaround. I hope it’s a temporary solution until next fix. My workaround is use mirroring rather than Airplay.

It is not a work-around for the problem described here. The page in the user guide just describes what is currently possible on iOS 18. But it still offers no solution, if we want to adjust the tempo of the slideshow, and there is still no way to use our own music as a background track for the slideshow.

• This advice "Tap Short Duration, Medium Duration, or Long Duration" will just change the number of the items in the slideshow to make it longer or shorter, but not adjust the speed.
  • As to the music, we still can only use the theme music or songs from Music, but none of the own songs we added to our Music Library. when I am picking any song I created myself with GarageBand or Logc, I'm getting an error message "This song cannot be used".

Can’t change the playback speed or display pictures from Photo app post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.