You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unable to install macOS on my Mac Pro (2009)

Hi, I recently bought a 2009 Mac Pro and it’s not installing macOS. It just hangs at this screen:

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 5:58 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2024 11:05 AM in response to DorianH935

I can help you a little bit, DorianH935… start off with reset the SMC… power down your Mac, unplug it and leave for 12-15 minutes-ish , if you like coffee, go have one.. then plug the power cable back in, press power button and immediately do this : hold down Apple + Option key, P key and R key all together until you hear 3 chimes. Then let go of all 4 keys and let the Mac do its thing… if it doesn’t work out, IF you had MacOS lion ( 10.7) or later installed on it, then restart, holding down Apple+R keys together on startup, until you see a language selection screen, pick one and continue… move your cursor to the top centre of your screen and click, you should see Mac OS X tools.. from here you can run disk utility, Terminal etc… you could maybe, If you had a copy of Snow leopard Retail DVD , boot from that by restarting, opening up the dvd drive tray and placing the dvd in there label side up, closing the tray and holding down the “C” key…

Or just hold down the option/alt key on your keyboard after restarting and that’ll get you the startup manager…

If you think the internal dvd drive is hooped, you can buy an external Mac compatible dvd drive ( that probably burns ‘em as well for around $39

hope this helps you a bit

John b

Unable to install macOS on my Mac Pro (2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.