You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why is Airplay not transmitting sound from my iPhone running iOS 18?

I am having a problem with Airplay on ios18 and was wondering if anyone else has seen this, or has a solution. I typically airplay from my iPhone 13 mini to a receiver connected to the network via an Airport Express. The phone shows it is connected via Airplay, but the sound comes from the phone (only). Airplay does seem to work as expected when connected to a HomePod.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:06 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2024 8:26 PM in response to DavidWesley

DavidWesley wrote:

The Airport Express is not the only or primary wireless router. It is on the same network as the primary wireless router which is connected by fibre to the internet.

Ok, then would it be correct to say that your Express is operating in "Client Mode" with this other wireless router then? If so, then in this case, your iPhone would send the AirPlay stream to the "main" router first, and then, on to the Express. Which exact model is this base station and what version of firmware is it running? The latest was 7.8 which came out years ago, but was problematic with AirPlay 2.

Things seem to work properly with my iPad, it's just the iPhone.

What version of iPadOS is your iPad running?

Oct 1, 2024 8:07 AM in response to DavidWesley

Thanks for providing the additional information. You're right, the latest (still years old) is 7.8.1.

At this point, I'm at a bit of a loss on why this issue is only specific to your iPhone. Typically, when I have assisted folks with AirPlay issues with the Express base station, it was to ask them to try downgrading to 7.6.9 or 7.6.8, which seemed to resolve the streaming issues. It may be worth a try. AFAIK, 7.8.x added AirPlay 2 functionality and nothing else.

Interestingly, Apple updated (2024) the following support article that states that AirPlay requires a 2nd generation AirPort Express base station: AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

When I get a chance, I'll see if I still have a 1st gen Express lying around to test this for you. I'll use my 3rd gen iPhone SE, which is running iOS 18, for the test.

Sep 30, 2024 5:28 PM in response to Tesserax

The Airport Express is not the only or primary wireless router. It is on the same network as the primary wireless router which is connected by fibre to the internet. I've been using this setup for many years now and it always well until iOS 18. Occasionally it would say it can't see the Express but wouldn't then indicate it was connected to it, but rather that it couldn't connect to it. With iOS 18, it is showing that it is connected to it on AirPlay, but it isn't ― the sound is still coming out of the iPhone. I've disconnected and reconnected, shutdown and restarted the phone, and it's persistent saying it's connected to the Express, but not playing through the connected receiver, but through the iPhone.

Things seem to work properly with my iPad, it's just the iPhone.

Why is Airplay not transmitting sound from my iPhone running iOS 18?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.