You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can’t search photo albums in iOS 18

After upgraded to iOS 18, I found that search function was missing for Photo Albums. And the search function in iOS 18 Photos wasn’t able to search for the Photo album name. How to resolve this ?

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 5:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 4:50 PM

It’s pretty clear that Apple hired 10-year-old to write iOS 18 and they didn’t test anything. as a longtime iPhone user, I will say without any hesitation whatsoever that this is the absolute worst version of iOS to have ever been released.

46 replies

Sep 20, 2024 6:27 PM in response to wyatt_wong

Exactly. Losing the ability to search by album name has rendered the photo app very useless.

Who would do that? Was there not a design review? A re-design review?

They took something really simple and made the layout noisy and the whole thing a complete mess.

It can find like 1% of my albums, but the rest it cannot.

Changing just for the sake of changing is nonsense.

Sep 21, 2024 7:12 PM in response to wyatt_wong

ios18 photo app search mode is a serious downgrade. As someone who heavily uses photos app as well as the iPhone camera my album traces back to 2014 via iCloud and has over 50,000+ photos and videos. The fact that when I search people now or essential things in our outside my home I get on average no results. Things like “plants” “pizza” “guitars” and a persons name it shows me on average 0 or at most 28 when I have hundreds that use to come up on any prior OS.

about to revert back to 17.7

Sep 26, 2024 7:12 AM in response to wyatt_wong

I have exactly the same issue after ios 18 update in my iPad . I cannot find the album by name .i have hundreds of albums.I am a doctor and I have stored patient reports and photos in an album by their names .i cannot search their records on follow up visit . Who should I approach to solve this problem . I have contacted apple support but they do not seem to have a solution. I bought the iPad to just store photos and now this update renders this product useless . I hope apple fixes this issue as soon as possible.

Sep 26, 2024 8:28 AM in response to pkbrasil

pkbrasil

It is definitely a significant fall back from iOS Photos 17. I also could not find the photos I want by year, month and date. And when I found a photo from a keyword search in iOS Photos 17, I can go to the date of the photo and then find other related photos that I took on the same day, or the days before and after. Now I can't jump into the date of a photo after I found it from the keyword search, so I couldn't find the related photos taken on the same date, or the dates before and after that.

It is really frustrating.

Oct 2, 2024 12:10 PM in response to wyatt_wong

Absolutely right. I have never had any bad experience before. Seems like a jungle. And from now on can not use photos section any more. Can not watch full screen video or stop video on full screen. Always step up down up down. I dont wanna talk about gallery or other things. They add lots of sections but forget to add a section "use your albums like ios 17" Complately horrible....

Can’t search photo albums in iOS 18

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.