You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pairing apple watch to iphone with no cellular plan

I gave my son an Iphone 11 with no cellular plan. I bought him an Apple watch which has a cellular plan from Verizon Wireless. Each time I paired the watch to that Iphone 11, he loses the capability to make / receive calls to and from his Apple Watch. I confirmed with Verizon that the plan is still active.

Does an Iphone need to have a cellular plan in order for the Apple watch to be able to be paired to it in order to make / receive calls from the watch itself?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 9:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:15 AM

The Apple Watch is either on the Family Plan with your iPhone in control.

Or it is paired to its own iPhone, and that iPhone is in control, providing the phone number. Since the iPhone 11 does not have a cellular plan, then the Apple Watch does not have a plan either.

NOTE: if you give the iPhone a cellular plan, then it is just $10/month additional to include the Apple Watch.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2023 10:15 AM in response to Mauilucu

The Apple Watch is either on the Family Plan with your iPhone in control.

Or it is paired to its own iPhone, and that iPhone is in control, providing the phone number. Since the iPhone 11 does not have a cellular plan, then the Apple Watch does not have a plan either.

NOTE: if you give the iPhone a cellular plan, then it is just $10/month additional to include the Apple Watch.

pairing apple watch to iphone with no cellular plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.