You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MagSafe Charger Serial Number NOT recognized on apple.com

Today, I purchased a MagSafe Charger, Model A2140. As I do with all Apple products, I verify the serial number online, especially to ensure my warranty dates are registered to my Apple ID. When I enter the charger's serial number online with apple, it is reported as an invalid number. The charger was purchased from a very reputable brick and mortar retailer and I have verified its firmware through the 'General' - 'About' areas of my iPhone's Settings.

My questions:

1. Does Apple NOT allow MagSafe chargers to be registered to your Apple ID like other products?
  2. For the purposes of warranty coverage, how would Apple verify when I purchased this product if I do not somehow register its serial number?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:07 PM

Not all Apple devices can be verified, specifically most of their power adapters/chargers, via their serial numbers at:

As far as warranty coverage, all Apple devices are provided with a one-year hardware warranty against manufacturing defects. If you did not purchase it directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, that coverage started when that third-party seller bought it from Apple, not when you actually purchased it from them.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2023 1:07 PM in response to chgotop

Not all Apple devices can be verified, specifically most of their power adapters/chargers, via their serial numbers at:

As far as warranty coverage, all Apple devices are provided with a one-year hardware warranty against manufacturing defects. If you did not purchase it directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, that coverage started when that third-party seller bought it from Apple, not when you actually purchased it from them.

New MagSafe Charger Serial Number NOT recognized on apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.