You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Iphone 5s goes online even though MobileData is turned off.

Why does the Iphone 5s go online when the Mobile Data option is disabled?

I disable the Mobile Data option like this: Settings - Mobile Data - Mobile Data.

I very rarely use the Internet on this Iphone, so this problem is relevant to me, because money is being debited.

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 6:49 AM

11 replies

Aug 19, 2023 11:13 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Quote:

Why would you ever exit Airplane mode if you never want to connect to the internet?

Maybe for some purposes it is necessary to get out of Airplane mode, I can't foresee all situations.

Quote:

Or just remove the SIM card so it can’t connect to anything.

After I insert the SIM card, the smartphone can send some data to the Internet and I will lose money.

Aug 20, 2023 11:27 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

If I want to use wi-fi, I will need to exit Airplane mode, after which the smartphone can immediately send some data to the Internet via a SIM card and I will lose money.

Therefore, the only solution that Apple offers is to remove the SIM card and insert it only when I need to make a call or send data to the Internet via a SIM card.

Aug 21, 2023 8:13 AM in response to constantin245

No, if the phone is in airplane mode it will stay that way when you turn it on.

But getting back to your problem, what data specifically is being sent when you have mobile data off. The only things that can be sent are calls and text messages (which do not use mobile data).

What might be causing your charges are the activation and control texts for iMessage, which go to a server in the UK (country code +44). These do not use mobile data. The way to fix that is to disable iMessage and FaceTime.

If your mobile network provider is not an Apple partner, that means they can charge for the international SMS messages that are used to activate and maintain your FaceTime and iMessage. Unless you want to pay for daily international text messages to Apple’s server in the UK you should log out of FaceTime and iMessage. Note that turning them off is not sufficient; you must actually log out.

FaceTime: Go to Settings/FaceTime, turn it on if it is off, tap on your Apple ID and tap Sign Out

iMessage: Go to Settings/Messages, turn it on if it is off, tap on Send & Receive, then your Apple ID, and tap Sign Out

Two more international texts will be sent after you do this, but they should then stop.

Aug 21, 2023 11:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Quote:

what data specifically is being sent when you have mobile data off

I do not know who sent the data. It was twice in two different days, the size of the shipment is 1 KB. I went to the mobile operator's website and saw that there were two internet uses. Who sent the data and where - there is no such information on the site.

Thank you, I will use Airplane mode.

The Iphone 5s goes online even though MobileData is turned off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.