You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows migration assistant will not open on my PC.

Just received a new Mac book and I am trying to use the Windows migration assistant on old PC and it will not even open. I have turned off Virus protection and auto windows updates. I have also ran the software update on the new MAC.

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2024 8:41 AM

Grant, the problem is that my new Mac is running Sonoma 14.4… but the pc is running Windows 8.1. There is no migration tool applicable to both.

6 replies

Mar 7, 2024 2:08 PM in response to ProblemSolver9

I am having the same issue with Windows 8.1. Was running Migration v2.4.3.1 but it couldn't find my Mac. Unfortunately, I downloaded the latest version and that was it, it wouldn't open. The error says it is only for Windows 10. I then uninstalled and downloaded the previous version and that did not work either. Uninstalled again and downloaded original version 2.4.3.1 but now it won't open at all. I have restored my PC to a previous restore point from 2 days ago and nothing works. I have wasted over 3 hours on this already! Extremely frustrating!!!

Aug 8, 2023 11:47 AM in response to MugsyMaloneMacDaddy

Hi MugsyMaloneMacDaddy,

Is there any specific error when you try to open the application? If you double click it and nothing happens at all, try right clicking and run as an admisistrator. If the issue persists, confirm you can open other apps without issue and restart.

If the same thing happens again, delete the installer and redownload the installer from the following link:

That is the most current version of the installer and the one compatible with your Mac.

Let us know the results from there.

Cheers!

May 13, 2024 8:21 AM in response to MarkDL61

If your Mac is using macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 or earlier

1. On your PC, download and install the appropriate Windows Migration Assistant:

• On your PC, open Windows Migration Assistant, then follow the onscreen instructions until Migration Assistant begins trying to connect to your Mac:

Transfer from PC to Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Windows migration assistant will not open on my PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.