You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook battery

I used to use magic keyboard and mouse connected to my MacBook pro via bluetooth, but i’ve noticed that when i use the 3 bluetooth devices, with my bluetooth headphone, the battery of my MacBook draining significantly. My question is if i will continue using my MacBook like that would this affect the battery life of my MacBook?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 5:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 9:16 AM

RakaknSWE100 wrote:

I used to use magic keyboard and mouse connected to my MacBook pro via bluetooth, but i’ve noticed that when i use the 3 bluetooth devices, with my bluetooth headphone, the battery of my MacBook draining significantly. My question is if i will continue using my MacBook like that would this affect the battery life of my MacBook?

The rule of thumb —

if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you prolong the working life of your battery, by reducing the cycle count.

Battery Health Management w/ Apple Silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2023 9:16 AM in response to RakaknSWE100

RakaknSWE100 wrote:

The rule of thumb —

if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you prolong the working life of your battery, by reducing the cycle count.

Battery Health Management w/ Apple Silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

Jul 13, 2023 9:29 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you

Actually your answer led me to another question. Do you think that it is ok if my MacBook plugged in all the time? Usually i use my MacBook with an external monitor connected by thunderbolt cable. I feel uncomfortable about that and sometimes i try to disconnect it from the monitor, especially when the battery is 100% charged for many hours.

Jul 13, 2023 9:42 AM in response to RakaknSWE100

For a very long time, Mac notebooks and their batteries have including routines that prevent over-charging. That is not a concern; your computer already know how to avoid that.

Usually i use my MacBook with an external monitor...

External monitors are a huge load and can cause the battery to drain even when connected to the mains. Use the mains (wall power) when running the external.

Jul 13, 2023 9:53 AM in response to RakaknSWE100

RakaknSWE100 wrote:

Thank you

Actually your answer led me to another question. Do you think that it is ok if my MacBook plugged in all the time? Usually i use my MacBook with an external monitor connected by thunderbolt cable. I feel uncomfortable about that and sometimes i try to disconnect it from the monitor, especially when the battery is 100% charged for many hours.

100% 24/7 365 there is no issue, No harm.

I do not know how else to say it—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

Let the built in software Battery Health Management worry about your battery for you.

MacBook battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.