You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 11 hangs up on people when against my cheek

I am so frustrated. When I am on an active call, with my phone against my face, the screen becomes active and my cheek hangs up the call. This happens with every call. How can I fix this??

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 8:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:09 PM

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this problem. Typically, the iPhone uses a proximity sensor to disable the screen when it’s held up to your face during a call. It sounds like your proximity sensor may not be working correctly.

Here are a few steps to try and resolve the issue:

1. Restart Your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix minor glitches.

2. Clean Your Phone: Make sure there’s no dirt, dust, or debris covering the proximity sensor, which is located at the top of your iPhone next to the front camera.

3. Remove Your Phone Case or Screen Protector: If you have a case or screen protector on your iPhone, it might be obstructing the proximity sensor. Try removing it to see if that helps.

4. Reset All Settings: Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will reset all settings on your iPhone back to factory defaults. Please note that this will not delete any data, but things like your wallpaper, display settings, and Wi-Fi passwords will be reset.

5. Update iOS: Check if there is a software update available for your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

If you’ve tried these steps and you’re still experiencing the problem, it’s possible that there’s a hardware issue with the proximity sensor. In this case, I recommend that you contact Apple Support or take your iPhone to an Apple Store for further assistance.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2023 10:09 PM in response to Almatthias

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this problem. Typically, the iPhone uses a proximity sensor to disable the screen when it’s held up to your face during a call. It sounds like your proximity sensor may not be working correctly.

Here are a few steps to try and resolve the issue:

1. Restart Your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix minor glitches.

2. Clean Your Phone: Make sure there’s no dirt, dust, or debris covering the proximity sensor, which is located at the top of your iPhone next to the front camera.

3. Remove Your Phone Case or Screen Protector: If you have a case or screen protector on your iPhone, it might be obstructing the proximity sensor. Try removing it to see if that helps.

4. Reset All Settings: Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will reset all settings on your iPhone back to factory defaults. Please note that this will not delete any data, but things like your wallpaper, display settings, and Wi-Fi passwords will be reset.

5. Update iOS: Check if there is a software update available for your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

If you’ve tried these steps and you’re still experiencing the problem, it’s possible that there’s a hardware issue with the proximity sensor. In this case, I recommend that you contact Apple Support or take your iPhone to an Apple Store for further assistance.

IPhone 11 hangs up on people when against my cheek

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.