You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing CD tracks on iPhone

In the last year or so, I've stopped being able to play tracks on my iPhone that come from CDs I've loaded into iTunes (PC). This was fine until recently, but now one of two things happens - either they are no longer visible on my iPhone at all, or if they are, they can't play, and come up with the notice that they are not 'available in my region'.

I have tried multiple ways of syncing from iTunes (automatic sync, manually manage music, sync ticked songs, dragging songs etc). I have also logged out of and then back into Media & Purchases, but nothing seems to work.

My iPhone is perfectly happy playing songs downloaded onto my PC.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to fix this - or is it an effort to get me to subscribe to Apple Music....?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 12:31 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 1, 2023 8:13 PM in response to Lynda-JaneA

No, you don't need to have an Apple Music subscription to load songs from your own CDs onto your iPhone. Just use

• The Mac Music app, and Finder-based synchronization (for macOS Catalina and later)
  • iTunes (for macOS Mojave and earlier, or for Windows)

Note that the system requirements for the Mac or PC may vary according to the version of iOS you are running on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or other iPod.

Jun 16, 2023 2:49 AM in response to crd37

but if they come from a CD they don’t appear to transfer and certainly can’t be played.

No, you don't need to transfer.

Use the same Apple ID and the same Music Library on the PC & iPhone.

Those songs should be present in your Music Library.

Don't tap on Apple Music, that's a whole different thing, then you get -> the ‘not available in your region’ message.

Jun 16, 2023 2:37 AM in response to Raicya

And that’s the odd thing - they are all still there in iTunes and play fine.

Looked at through iTunes, those tracks appear to be on my phone, but if they come from a CD they don’t appear to transfer and certainly can’t be played.

I have ‘succeeded’ in getting some CD tracks onto my iPhone by syncing q playlist, but on my phone they are all faded out, and when I try to play them, I get the ‘not available in your region’ message.

Dec 4, 2023 11:40 PM in response to crd37

There could be a few reasons why you're experiencing this issue with playing tracks from CDs on your iPhone. Here are a few potential solutions:

Make sure the songs are still in your iTunes library: Sometimes, iTunes may lose track of the files if they have been moved or deleted. Double-check that the songs are still present in your iTunes library on your PC. If they are not, you may need to re-import them from the original CDs.

Check the region settings: The "not available in your region" message suggests that there may be a regional restriction on the tracks. You can try changing the region settings on your iPhone to see if that resolves the issue. Go to Settings > General > Language & Region, and then select a different region. Restart your iPhone and see if the songs are now playable.

Verify your iCloud Music Library settings: If you have iCloud Music Library enabled, it can sometimes cause issues with syncing tracks. Go to Settings > Music > iCloud Music Library and toggle the switch off. Connect your iPhone to your PC and sync again to see if the tracks become playable.

Playing CD tracks on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.