You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use wd external hard drive for updates

I have an older MacBook pro (2007) not at the moment having an easy time with pro air, cloud. To upgrade the iOS to currant or more current can you use a my book only to update it so it will work again. I found a couple decent external wd but the time machine is separate. I wish to use this to upgrade there are different types. However I believe with advisor today with this it may be what I could use. No disrespect to air pro. But WiFi made a mess. Now I can't use it for now. So 13.3 inch I am familiar with. I should be able to update it if this is known by anyone. I researched as best I could. It read on some make sure it was similar to start. Found this. #I was just curious if anyone knew if you can format it to upgrade since you can add a time machine to either this drive or the computer itself. Otherwise I figured a key or passport even formatted likely would not do much more than back up what is unusable (outdated)

Posted on May 29, 2023 9:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 4:54 AM

The idea is to update the operating system which is on the main internal drive. You can't update the OS on an external drive unless the OS is installed there. That can be done, but it doesn't sound like you know about this.

For older Macs, updating can be problematic especially when limited to OS version, have a small main disk, that main disk is too full and other reasons.

As far as TM is concerned, "the drive" and "the computer itself" is the same thing. You don't actually create a backup of the machine as a whole, you create a backup of the data contained on the computer's drive which can later be moved to the drive of a different machine. Or back to the same drive/machine combo if needed..

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2023 4:54 AM in response to Graciaportuapo

The idea is to update the operating system which is on the main internal drive. You can't update the OS on an external drive unless the OS is installed there. That can be done, but it doesn't sound like you know about this.

For older Macs, updating can be problematic especially when limited to OS version, have a small main disk, that main disk is too full and other reasons.

As far as TM is concerned, "the drive" and "the computer itself" is the same thing. You don't actually create a backup of the machine as a whole, you create a backup of the data contained on the computer's drive which can later be moved to the drive of a different machine. Or back to the same drive/machine combo if needed..

Can you use wd external hard drive for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.