You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive for Time Machine

What external hard drive is recommended for Time Machine compatibility with a new Macbook Pro 14?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 1:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 2:40 PM

Apple does not provide hard drive recommendations for Time Machine.

Personally, I use the 2TB Crucial X8 SSD (1050MB/s) drive and it performs quite well using its included USB-C cabling that plugs directly into my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It is formatted as APFS with GUID partition scheme.

Your sizing guidelines should be 2.5 to 3 times the size of the internal drive for the Time Machine drive storage capacity. if you are focused on a hard disk drive solution, strive for one that offers 7200 rpm, and is in a USB-C 3.2 gen 1 (or 2) enclosure that plugs directly into your MBP 14 USB-C port. Same formatting as first paragraph.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2022 2:40 PM in response to Thistledown5075

Apple does not provide hard drive recommendations for Time Machine.

Personally, I use the 2TB Crucial X8 SSD (1050MB/s) drive and it performs quite well using its included USB-C cabling that plugs directly into my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro. It is formatted as APFS with GUID partition scheme.

Your sizing guidelines should be 2.5 to 3 times the size of the internal drive for the Time Machine drive storage capacity. if you are focused on a hard disk drive solution, strive for one that offers 7200 rpm, and is in a USB-C 3.2 gen 1 (or 2) enclosure that plugs directly into your MBP 14 USB-C port. Same formatting as first paragraph.

External hard drive for Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.