You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Packages from unknown developers

Hi

I am trying to install a scientific data analysis software package developed by a US academic institute. Before reinstalling macOS Ventura in my laptop, I could install and run this package without a problem. After reinstalling Ventura, OS does not allow me to grant a blanket security exemption for this package. OS asks me to grant an exemption for each and every individual file in the package ("xxx.y was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer, allow any way?" ). Since the software package contain hundreds of individual supporting files, practically it is almost impossible to do this. Is there a way to grant a blanket exception for the whole package instead of doing it individually for each and every file?

MA

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 10:30 AM

It would help if you specified exactly what package this is. There might be a quick and easy solution.

Lacking any such information, the best solution would probably be to run the following command:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/path/to/packages/*

This is assuming that the packages are in the Downloads folder. This will remove the quarantine attribute from each file and the system will no longer trigger Gatekeeper to block it.

However, signed, and now notarized, software has been required for several years now. There is an excellent chance that this software won't work at all in Ventura for other reasons. If it is old enough to pre-date signatures, then you are in deep, deep trouble if you try to use it.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2023 10:30 AM in response to AMA2023

It would help if you specified exactly what package this is. There might be a quick and easy solution.

Lacking any such information, the best solution would probably be to run the following command:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/path/to/packages/*

This is assuming that the packages are in the Downloads folder. This will remove the quarantine attribute from each file and the system will no longer trigger Gatekeeper to block it.

However, signed, and now notarized, software has been required for several years now. There is an excellent chance that this software won't work at all in Ventura for other reasons. If it is old enough to pre-date signatures, then you are in deep, deep trouble if you try to use it.

Packages from unknown developers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.