You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Error

I am the proud owner of a new iMac 24 Desktop running Ventura 13.2.1. I re-formatted my old WD Passport for Mac and set it up to use as the Time Machine Backup. It will not complete the backup. Initially I get the error "/Library/Application Support/ApplePushService/aps.db-shm". Thereafter it says that the backup disc is not available. I've tried first aid and 'remounting' with no joy. Is the problem that I'm using an old 'WD Passport"? If not what should I do? Please keep it simple as I'm a bit of a dinosoar. Thank you for any responses.

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 1:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 4:29 PM

If your drive is 10+ years old I would suggest to get a new drive. I have switched to all SSD drives to improve speed but a mechanical drive is fine especially for TM backups. When you format the drive there are two entires. One is the format(e.g. APFS, etc,). the line below (scheme) will show GUID or master boot record, etc. You want to be sure it states GUID for Mac use.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2023 4:29 PM in response to Jonners596

If your drive is 10+ years old I would suggest to get a new drive. I have switched to all SSD drives to improve speed but a mechanical drive is fine especially for TM backups. When you format the drive there are two entires. One is the format(e.g. APFS, etc,). the line below (scheme) will show GUID or master boot record, etc. You want to be sure it states GUID for Mac use.

Apr 7, 2023 8:35 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you very much for your response. It was last working OK about 3 weeks ago when connected to my old iMac - a late 2009 one. I think the disc is about 10 years old. I used Disc Utility to erase it and formatted to APFS (Case Sensitive, Encrypted).

The only other options were APFS, APFS (Encrypted) and APFS (Case Sensitive). I'm afraid I don't know about 'GUID' but if it's to do with partitioning the drive I would be happy for the entire drive to be used backing up the iMac. I don't mind buying a new backup disc, if that's the problem, but obviously I don't want to have the same issue with a new one.

Time Machine Backup Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.