You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"My Passport Ultra" backup disc not working with Time Machine after Ventura update.

The disc shows up on my MacBook Air desktop as usual when I plug My Passport in, and I can do diagnostics on it- but when I try to back up with Time Machine, it gives me an error message that the disc cannot be found. I've tried restarting and resetting NVRAM and nothing is working.

Does anyone else have this issue or know about back up disc compatability with Ventura.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 6:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 7:36 PM

mekabra wrote:

The disc shows up on my MacBook Air desktop as usual when I plug My Passport in, and I can do diagnostics on it- but when I try to back up with Time Machine, it gives me an error message that the disc cannot be found. I've tried restarting and resetting NVRAM and nothing is working.
Does anyone else have this issue or know about back up disc compatability with Ventura.

What "diagnostics" - are those from a Western Digital provided disk utility? If so, that could mean you have installed disk software (and maybe firmware) for the drive that could be conflicting with the Ventura MacOS.

If the only disk utility tools you have are from Apple, and you don't have any third party disk firmware or software tools, can you report back on the disk format? It should be APFS GUID. If the external drive is in that format, try opening Time Machine Preferences/Settings and remove and then add the target drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2022 7:36 PM in response to mekabra

mekabra wrote:

What "diagnostics" - are those from a Western Digital provided disk utility? If so, that could mean you have installed disk software (and maybe firmware) for the drive that could be conflicting with the Ventura MacOS.

If the only disk utility tools you have are from Apple, and you don't have any third party disk firmware or software tools, can you report back on the disk format? It should be APFS GUID. If the external drive is in that format, try opening Time Machine Preferences/Settings and remove and then add the target drive.

"My Passport Ultra" backup disc not working with Time Machine after Ventura update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.