You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’ve erased everything!

I’ve erased my MacBook Pro 2017 Monterey and it seems I’ve erased everything. All I get is spinning globe or Question mark or needing WiFi o word

meant to sending it back to Apple as have bought a new one. I doubt it’ll be accepted like this?

please can you let me know how I can get it back with OS on?

thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 1:29 PM

You only have three options:

1. Enter your WiFi password so it connects to the network to access the online macOS installer through Internet Recovery Mode
  2. Connect the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter if you encounter a network error when attempting to use Internet Recovery Mode over WiFi (usually shows as a large negative number code)
  3. Create & use a macOS USB installer if you have access to another compatible Qualifying Mac

If all else fails you can also see whether an Apple Store will help you reinstall macOS.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2023 1:29 PM in response to Alison Moss

You only have three options:

1. Enter your WiFi password so it connects to the network to access the online macOS installer through Internet Recovery Mode
  2. Connect the laptop directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter if you encounter a network error when attempting to use Internet Recovery Mode over WiFi (usually shows as a large negative number code)
  3. Create & use a macOS USB installer if you have access to another compatible Qualifying Mac

If all else fails you can also see whether an Apple Store will help you reinstall macOS.

Mar 27, 2023 9:44 AM in response to Alison Moss

Having now gone back into Disk Utilities, I find that disk1s1 is as full as my HD was. As I'm getting rid of my computer, how do I delete all this as the Erase button is not lit up? Or what is this file for? Is it readable by anyone else? Thank you

———-

You are welcome.

Thoughts on Disk Utility:

If the drive is not mounted, then the erase button will not be lit. So, click Mount. Another option is to run First Aid. Those seem to be its lien volume. So, select the volume, and then click the minus button on the bottom left. Report back if you are able to erase this.

Once erased, use Internet Recovery Mode: to install it over the Web through Apple’s Servers: Boot Up Using: [Command + Option + R]

Mar 26, 2023 1:24 PM in response to Alison Moss

Alison Moss wrote:

I’ve erased my MacBook Pro 2017 Monterey and it seems I’ve erased everything. All I get is spinning globe or Question mark or needing WiFi o word

meant to sending it back to Apple as have bought a new one. I doubt it’ll be accepted like this?

please can you let me know how I can get it back with OS on?

thank you

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Activate mac no wifi symbol—

1) Power down the Macbook (force quit if necessary hold the power button/TouchID down for ~6-10 sec.)

2) Wait 30-seconds...Short press power button

3) Immediately afterwards long press the power button until an "Option" screen appears

4) Click on options

Let any schematics present until Activate Mac screen appears again, the wifi icon appears in the upper right corner.

if necessary—manually enter network name & password under the "Join Other Network" option

ref:

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 26, 2023 8:59 PM in response to Alison Moss

"I’ve erased everything!: I’ve erased my MacBook Pro 2017 Monterey and it seems I’ve erased everything. All I get is spinning globe or Question mark or needing WiFi o word meant to sending it back to Apple as have bought a new one. I doubt it’ll be accepted like this? please can you let me know how I can get it back with OS on? thank you"

-------

Reinstalling the macOS:

First, Erase the Disk:

1. Open: Disk Utility***
  2. Erase: the drive
  3. Format: with APFS format

Then...

Use Internet Recovery Mode:

Did the reinstallation work? If not, I recommend you using Internet Recovery Mode. It installs it over the Web through Apples Servers: Boot Up Using: [Command + Option + R]

Mar 27, 2023 10:59 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles... you no doubt realise I'm not au fait with this!

I did run first aid but nothing happened.

Then I noticed that although the blue line in disk1s1 was the same length as was in my HD, the total in there is only 2.22GB as opposed 500GB.

So I'm guessing that all has been deleted and this is just what needs to be on the computer. But would you confirm I am right - I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again

Mar 27, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Alison Moss

I’ve erased everything!: […]although the blue line in disk1s1 was the same length as was in my HD, the total in there is only 2.22GB as opposed 500GB.[…]

———-

Proceeding with this:

That is all just temporary data. So, expect that to show. All is erased. So, if you feel comfortable with doing so, proceed with the clean install through use of Internet Recovery Mode. Boot Up Using: [Command + Option +]

I’ve erased everything!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.