You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac does not start up with the current hard disk. I am able to see the question mark folder icon only.

My iMac does not start up with the current hard disk. I am able to see the question mark folder icon only.

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 8:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 9:42 AM

Your Mac has lost the ability to find/open an operating system. Either you have done something to cause this or your hard disk is failing. Most likely you will need to reinstall the operating system. Try a restart in the Internet Recovery Mode. Press the Shift + Option + Command + R keys on restart.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2023 9:42 AM in response to yscilla

Your Mac has lost the ability to find/open an operating system. Either you have done something to cause this or your hard disk is failing. Most likely you will need to reinstall the operating system. Try a restart in the Internet Recovery Mode. Press the Shift + Option + Command + R keys on restart.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.