You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil for Drawing on Sidecar

Hello, I and using my iPad as sidecar but facing issues with Apple Pencil. I can use Apple Pencil to tap on menu and actions but can't use it for drawing in Notes or Apple Freeform app. Any idea if it's an issue with Sidecar configuration or is it because Notes and Freeform app don't support Apple Pencil drawing?

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 10:17 AM

Hello, here's what's happening. I am able to use the Apple Pencil as a mouse on the iPad as extended display. I can point and click with no issues. The only issue is I can not draw using the Apple Pencil on Notes app and Freeform app that are installed on the Mac and moved to the iPad extended display.

This is the first time I am trying to use Apple Pencil with iPad extended display.

I face no issues with drawing when I use the Apple Pencil on the native iPad apps, the issue is only when using it with Mac apps with sidecar.

Both, my iPad 9 and 14" MacBook Pro have latest OS installed. Restarting the devices has not worked.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 22, 2023 10:17 AM in response to bruno75

Hello, here's what's happening. I am able to use the Apple Pencil as a mouse on the iPad as extended display. I can point and click with no issues. The only issue is I can not draw using the Apple Pencil on Notes app and Freeform app that are installed on the Mac and moved to the iPad extended display.

This is the first time I am trying to use Apple Pencil with iPad extended display.

I face no issues with drawing when I use the Apple Pencil on the native iPad apps, the issue is only when using it with Mac apps with sidecar.

Both, my iPad 9 and 14" MacBook Pro have latest OS installed. Restarting the devices has not worked.

Mar 15, 2023 2:08 PM in response to pritaminmumbai

Hey there pritaminmumbai,

Upon researching your question, we were able to find the details that show you're able to use your Apple Pencil while extending or mirroring your Mac display instead of using the mouse/trackpad connected to your Mac. These details can be found under the section 'Use Apple Pencil' in this link: Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac

After reviewing the above, we wanted to confirm more details to better understand what's happening, along with confirming more details about the issue:

1. Have you been able to use your Apple Pencil in Notes in the past since starting to use Sidecar, and if yes, when did it start to not work?
  2. Any issues using Apple Pencil with Notes when not using Sidecar?
  3. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out Restart your iPad and check out the section ‘Restart your Mac' here: Shut down or restart your Mac
  4. We see you have macOS Ventura installed, but the latest version is macOS Ventura 13.2.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.
  5. Since you have a compatible iPad model, the latest version is iPadOS 16.3.1. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update your iPhone or iPad.

Cheers!

Apple Pencil for Drawing on Sidecar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.