You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of Thunderbolt is on my MacBook Pro A1398

My A1398 MacBook Pro with serial C02PX4DKG8WP is not working with a new Thunderbolt external drive that uses a USB-C connector. My MacBook has the older Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 style connector, so I bought a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from Apple (MMEL2AM/A). I also bought a Thunderbolt cable from Apple (MD862LL/A). When I connect these together and plug them into the new drive nothing happens. The drive does power up when I plug it into a newer Thunderbolt 3 compatible computer, so the drive seems fine. Is this combination of cable and adapter just not going to work with the newer drive? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 3:12 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 6, 2023 6:37 AM in response to HWTech

Hello HWTech, You provided new to me information on this topic. I have wondered what the relationship between USB-C and Thunderbolt 3/4 was. They use the same connector on some of my equipment. I checked the Western Digital support site for the SanDisk Professional G-Drive I bought, and it says it is USB. I will get a USB-A to USB-C cable and try it out. Thank you for pointing out the fact that "Thunderbolt drives" may actually be USB drives that work on a Thunderbolt 3/4 (USB-C style) port. Very helpful.

Earl

Mar 5, 2023 7:39 PM in response to Earl_HRCI

Most likely the USB-C drive is using the USB protocols and not Thunderbolt protocols. Try using a USB-C to USB-A Male Cable to connect the drive to the older laptop.

USB-C devices can use either the USB protocol or the Thunderbolt protocol. While the USB-C ports on most 2016+ Macs support both protocols (not all do such as the Mac Studio front USB-C ports on the low end model which only supports the USB protocol...rear ports support both protocols), the USB-C ports on most external devices such as drives will only support one of the two protocols...you need to check the product documentation to confirm especially of the USB-C port on the device (aka drive) does not have any symbols indicating the protocol supported (USB protocol will show a trident symbol, while Thunderbolt protocol support should show a lightning bolt icon).

Usually Thunderbolt products will be more expensive than USB products....the majority of lower to mid level consumer drives will only support the USB protocol (generally), but it is best to check the product documentation to be sure.

Mar 6, 2023 10:18 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech, The USB-A to USB-C cable is working. I meant to click your response as the best answer, but somehow I clicked on my first reply to your post. If I can find a way to change the best answer I'll put it to your reply. Time Machine is preparing the drive now. I really appreciate your suggestion. I wish the Western Digital support guy had mentioned it. Thanks, Earl

What version of Thunderbolt is on my MacBook Pro A1398

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.