You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red dot for unread emails is not showing on Mail even with all the notification settings turned on

I have checked in System Preferences > Notification to make sure all the banner/badges are turned on. I've undid it and redid it as well.

Restarted my phone. Looked on these message boards.. but it's still not appearing for me.

Does anyone know what the issue might be and if there's anything else that I could try?

Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 10:57 AM

If you have set up one or more email addresses, go to:

Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> scroll to the bottom -> Customize Notifications. Under Accounts, find your email account/s and tap in.

Are "Badges" enabled there?

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2023 10:57 AM in response to KJ Appelt

If you have set up one or more email addresses, go to:

Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> scroll to the bottom -> Customize Notifications. Under Accounts, find your email account/s and tap in.

Are "Badges" enabled there?

Jan 19, 2023 11:11 AM in response to KJ Appelt

I see you're on iOS 12, so you can't delete the mail app. Try deleting your set up mail account from the device, restart your device and set it up again.

Jan 19, 2023 11:28 AM in response to KJ Appelt

I once saw a documentary that said that the red dot on apps, especially social apps, released a small amount of endorphins....

Well, you're welcome, glad it worked.

Red dot for unread emails is not showing on Mail even with all the notification settings turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.