You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have AirPods pro and I cannot get the noise cancellation to work right. I can still hear the TV or talking around me.

Should I still be able to hear the TV and Talking with my AirPods pro when in noise cancellation mode. I have followed directions for several different ways to get them to work, but I can still hear, not as loud, but hear and understand the noise around me. I bought them for this feature.

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 7:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 8:05 PM

Hello Carole Turner,

Noise cancellation works by countering the sound waves entering your AirPods Pro with neutralizing sound waves that in turn cancel most of the exterior noise. Because Active Noise Cancelation is controlled by your AirPods chip (H1 or H2), some noise will still reach your ears. For example, this year Apple improved the AirPods Pro's ANC with the 2nd version which they released in October, but they did not "perfect" the ANC feature.

If you really want to isolate yourself from distracting noise around you, I would suggest that you purchase construction grade noise mufflers that go in or over your ears.

Try playing some background music on your AirPods Pro as this usually drowns all excess sound that reaches the ear drums.

Also, check out this link:

If Active Noise Cancellation isn't working as expected on your AirPods Pro - Apple Support

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 8:05 PM in response to Carole Turner

Hello Carole Turner,

Noise cancellation works by countering the sound waves entering your AirPods Pro with neutralizing sound waves that in turn cancel most of the exterior noise. Because Active Noise Cancelation is controlled by your AirPods chip (H1 or H2), some noise will still reach your ears. For example, this year Apple improved the AirPods Pro's ANC with the 2nd version which they released in October, but they did not "perfect" the ANC feature.

If you really want to isolate yourself from distracting noise around you, I would suggest that you purchase construction grade noise mufflers that go in or over your ears.

Try playing some background music on your AirPods Pro as this usually drowns all excess sound that reaches the ear drums.

Also, check out this link:

If Active Noise Cancellation isn't working as expected on your AirPods Pro - Apple Support

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

I have AirPods pro and I cannot get the noise cancellation to work right. I can still hear the TV or talking around me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.