You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Disk Not Ejected Properly" on bootup M1 Monterey

M1 mac Mini Monterey. I have software licenses on a standard USB2 stick.

Frequently, on boot up, I get a "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error.

Preferences|Energy Saver are set to not Put hard disks to sleep.

I have tried different USB sticks, directly connected or through a thunderbolt hub.

It's an M1, so reset PRAM and SMC are not a thing.

I am concerned that this error will corrupt the drive and destroy a couple thousand worth of software licenses.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 9:21 AM

They got me there with a 10 second press of the power button to turn the Mac off. This is a forced shutdown. I've restarted without disconnect a half dozen times now. Hoping it stays fixed. Thanks everybody.

GD it, nope, just disconnected again.

Similar questions

13 replies

Dec 23, 2022 3:39 PM in response to nottooloud

Hi nottooloud,

Thanks for providing us those details. To help isolate this error message further, we recommend to update your Mac to macOS 13.1 Ventura. Updating the software on your Mac provides software improvements that may help resolve this behavior. If needed, here's how to update the software on your Mac:

Use Software Update
Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.
1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:
∙Choose System Settings. Then click General in the sidebar, and Software Update on the right.
∙Or choose System Preferences. Then click Software Update.

2. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update Now or Upgrade Now button to install it.
Software Update windowe

3. Enter your administrator password, if asked. During installation, your Mac might restart, and you might see a progress bar or blank screen several times.

If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only updates and upgrades that are compatible with your Mac.

These steps are outlined in this helpful article: Update macOS on Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Dec 23, 2022 12:01 PM in response to nottooloud

nottooloud,

Is your Mac sleeping or are you going through a shutdown and restart each time? We ask this because you mentioned sleep was not involved, though you also mentioned having checked on some sleep settings specific to the disk.

We ask this because we want to determine, if your Mac is sleeping, and the error is showing upon waking your Mac, even if you've asked the software not to put your disks to sleep.

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2022 12:07 PM in response to AnnieL2

I never sleep any computer. I always shut down. This happens on a cold bootup from off.

Most of the discussions with this error seem to be related to sleeping, and there's the same litany of "cures", always including disable disk sleep, try a different stick, try a different port, replace the cables, and zap PRAM and SMC. I thought I'd save us all some time and list them as completed without effect.

Jan 2, 2023 7:34 AM in response to nottooloud

One more followup. The disconnect happened after doing a boot from the startup screen, where you select the drive to boot from. After that I did the long press forced shutdown again, and my USB stick has stayed mounted every bootup since. So best answer is odd, but it works. Long press forced shutdown fixes the issue of diconnect on cold boot.

"Disk Not Ejected Properly" on bootup M1 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.