You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently remove individual Shared With You items from Safari

I've seen many articles on how to disable/hide the Shared With You section in different apps. Ideally, I want to keep Shared With You but remove items as I read or no longer need them (or worse, do not want family members to see which gift ideas have been discussed for them)!

In Safari, I can right-click on an item and click "Remove link." This will remove the link for a while, then it will appear again later. (I assume this is because the Shared list is recreated from other apps and devices periodically, so the items reappear if they're not removed from all devices/apps?)

Is there a way to keep the Shared With You section but permanently delete some individual items?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 12:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 3:21 PM

Hello dpurper,

To remove specific content from Shared with You in Safari, you'll want to delete the link from the message thread it originated from. To view the link within Messages, you'll want to use the steps in View links from friends in Safari on Mac as if you're going to reply to that specific message.

"Click the name of the person who shared with you to reply to them using Messages."

From there, use the steps in Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac.

"Delete a message

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, select a conversation.
  2. Select one or more messages (including text messages, photos, videos, files, web links, audio messages, or emoji) in the transcript, press Delete, then click Delete in the dialog."

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2022 3:21 PM in response to dpurper

Hello dpurper,

To remove specific content from Shared with You in Safari, you'll want to delete the link from the message thread it originated from. To view the link within Messages, you'll want to use the steps in View links from friends in Safari on Mac as if you're going to reply to that specific message.

"Click the name of the person who shared with you to reply to them using Messages."

From there, use the steps in Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac.

"Delete a message

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, select a conversation.
  2. Select one or more messages (including text messages, photos, videos, files, web links, audio messages, or emoji) in the transcript, press Delete, then click Delete in the dialog."

Cheers!

Permanently remove individual Shared With You items from Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.