You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't save all tabs

I use a MacBook pro (macOS Catalina 10.15.7), with up to date Safari (15.6.1) and am having lots of tabs related problems:

1. a while ago (about 2-3 weeks ago), safari started to squash some tabs together, making it difficult/impossible to navigate them
  2. I tried to bookmark the tabs so I could start a new safari page
  3. but safari only bookmarks a few out of all the open tabs (15 out of the 44+ tabs)
  4. the rest of the tabs can't be bookmarked, as the Add bookmarks for these tabs is greyed out
  5. I opened a new page so I could access this page, and the Add bookmarks shows for 1 tab only, nothing about the other opened tabs

I've looked everywhere I could think of, restarted Safari, restarted Mac, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Has anyone experienced this kind of situation before and managed to sort it out? If so, could you let me know how in very simple terms please (I'm a not-very-techy-pensioner).

With many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 3:10 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 24, 2022 2:05 PM in response to Marilou0121

Hello Marilou0121,

To help determine a solution, we'll need to isolate the behavior a bit more. You mentioned that you've tried closing Safari, and the option to bookmark the tabs are still greyed out. Does this occur in a different user on your Mac? This will tell us whether the issue is isolated to the user you're in, or if it's system-wide.

"Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Users & Groups  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click the Add Account button below the list of users on the right (you may be asked to enter your password.)
  3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
  4. For more information about the options for each type of user, click the Help button in the lower-left corner of the dialog.
  5. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  6. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
  7. Click Create User."

If this is occurring with iCloud tabs, be sure you set up this feature in the new user using the steps in Set up and use iCloud Tabs.

We look forward to hearing the results.

Cheers!

Nov 25, 2022 7:36 AM in response to Marilou0121

Hello Marilou0121,

If you sign into iCloud in a new account, then all of your saved Safari tabs should appear. Right now, we just want to isolate and see if this behavior is happening in other accounts.

Also, just out of curiosity, do you perhaps have screen time enabled? If so, let's see what happens if we disable that. Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

Some Screen Time features may cause unexpected results and this may be what's happening.

Nov 25, 2022 1:06 AM in response to racheals14

Hello, and thank you very much for your reply. Before I attempt your suggestion (at first read it is a bit above my head but you never know), I can't remember if I said that the Add bookmarks for all tabs option is in black for the latest tabs I opened. In this instance I have 2 new ones, apart from the old ones, and it becomes Add bookmarks for these 2 tabs. I can't find a way of saving all previously opened tabs, apart from Ad bookmark on each individual page. Which takes ages as Safari takes ages to do that. With best wishes.

PS. If I add another user as you suggested (an alias?) would I still be able to have access to all my saved stuff?

Safari doesn't save all tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.