You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I print in black and white?

Sorry, I am new to Mac. How do I print in black and white? I am not seeing any option in the printer dialog or presets. I am trying to print a pdf from the preview app(?). Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 8:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 10:32 AM

There are exactly two drivers for your HP device that are compatible with macOS Monterey: 1) the one that the HP Easy Start application installs for you¹, and 2) the built-in Apple AirPrint driver for the E67550dn when you have the device networked. That latter does not need a driver download from HP and provides you with vendor independence.

¹ There are firmware updates released in June 2022 and Aug 2022 that are not in version order but may add features to your device that Windows users already have.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2022 10:32 AM in response to mflewelling

There are exactly two drivers for your HP device that are compatible with macOS Monterey: 1) the one that the HP Easy Start application installs for you¹, and 2) the built-in Apple AirPrint driver for the E67550dn when you have the device networked. That latter does not need a driver download from HP and provides you with vendor independence.

¹ There are firmware updates released in June 2022 and Aug 2022 that are not in version order but may add features to your device that Windows users already have.

Oct 3, 2022 9:34 AM in response to mflewelling

It depends on the printer driver.

In my home printer (also from HP), there is a checkbox right at the top:

But on a different printer, they may appear in a different place.

Check that popup menu that now says "Preview". Maybe it is in there if you choose instead "Printer features" or "Paper and Quality" or something like that. As I said, it varies. The actual printer driver determines this.

Oct 3, 2022 11:54 AM in response to mflewelling

In the middle of your first screenshot there is a dropdown box that says "Preview." There are more options in that dropdown box. Click it - normally, one of the additional options is Print Settings (or something similar), where you can select Color, Greyscale or Black & White.

In my case, I have an Epson photo printer, but your HP should have similar settings.

When you click "Preview":

When you then select "Print Settings":

How do I print in black and white?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.