You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greedy iOS Message Storage Results in iPhone Storage Full

I have a 64GB iPhone 12 XS with 1 TB of iCloud Storage. I have iCloud Messaging turned on, yet my message library is taking up 33% (20GB) of my iphone (and iPad's) storage. I even freed up a few gigs by removing unused apps and duplicate videos/photos that were in my message library. Ultimately, this actually made my Message library storage larger on device. I'm thinking cause there was more free space, so messages though it could keep even more assets on device. This was only a few days later, so not like I received 3GB of messages in those few days.

How do I keep my Messages library from being so greedy with my on device storage? I don't care how large it is in the cloud, but I don't need 20GB of message history on device. Not to mention, my iPhoto library is 131 GB in the Cloud but on device is only 5GB. My understanding is that iMessages in the iCloud is only supposed to keep messages on device if there is enough room, similar to Photos, but this clearly isn't working. I'm constantly butting up against this device storage limit because messages is just taking too much.

In the Messages Preference, I have Message History setting in Messages is set to "Forever". My understanding is that this setting is synced to all your devices and also affects your messages in the cloud. Changing it to 1 year would delete ALL MESSAGES over a year old from ALL DEVICES INCLUDING THE CLOUD. Since messages are not stored as part of the backup when iCloud messages is turned on, this would also mean that these messages would be unrecoverable. The ramifications of changing this across other devices and in iCoud is not clear and completely understated. If it in fact is a setting across devices perhaps it should be with the iCloud messages setting and they need more clear language.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you keep imessage from eating all your on device storage.

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 12:03 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 11, 2022 9:26 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, my issues isn't with how large my message library is in the cloud, it's without how much storage the Messages is claiming on my devices. It's taking up 33% of my storage on my Phone. I cleared a few GBs off my phone by removing large and duplicate attachments, applications and data that I was no longer using, and all that happened was my Messages storage on my device got LARGER by 4GBs. I still constantly get messages saying my iPhone storage is almost full.

This is what I mean when I say it's being greedy with it's on Device storage. Why does my Photos library only need 5GB on device when it's 130GB in the cloud, yet my Messages library takes up 21GB and is only 35 GB in the Cloud.

You can see what I mean with this image (Note this is my iPhone Storage, not my iCloud Storage). Is this "working as expected"?

:

Oct 3, 2022 8:44 AM in response to mmckeon

Hi mmckeon,

For help with clearing storage from messages, test removing larger attachments with the steps below found in the article here: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

"Delete texts and attachments in Messages

When you use Messages in iCloud, all of your text messages and the attachments you send and receive use your iCloud storage. You can make more space available when you delete texts and attachments—like photos, videos, and files—that you don't need anymore. 

Delete a message or attachment on your iPhone or iPad

1. In a message conversation, touch and hold the message bubble or attachment that you want to delete.
  2. Tap More.
  3. Tap Delete , then tap Delete Message. If you want to delete all messages in the thread tap Delete All, in the upper-left corner. Then tap Delete Conversation."

You can also view helpful information about iCloud Photos in the section "Delete photos in iCloud Photos" from the same article.

Find additional information about how Messages in iCloud works here: Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Find this: "Because your messages are in the cloud, if you send, receive, or delete a message on one device, those updates appear everywhere.", and more clarification about the feature here as well: Keep your messages up to date with iCloud

Cheers.

Greedy iOS Message Storage Results in iPhone Storage Full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.