You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Lossless not available in Music Preferences

Hi There,

I'm trying to turn on the Apple Lossless Playback option in Music Preferences, but that option doesn't seem to even be available. When I go to Music > Preferences > Playback, all I see are options for Video playback quality. I am pretty sure I saw it there before, but at the time I was trying out Apple Music (I am cancelled it since). I'm using a Mac Mini (M1 2020), and I have my Mac connected to an external DAC (Topping D10s) that is connected to my Home Theatre AVR (Marantz SR6014).

Please tell me I don't have to subscribe to Apple Music in order for this option to appear...

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 10:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 11:40 PM

Music's help page (press the ? button in Music app's Preferences) states clearly that:

Lossless audio
Choose to use Apple Lossless audio.
This option is only available if you’re signed in as a subscriber to Apple Music.
1 reply

Apple Lossless not available in Music Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.